The Firearms Forum banner

Ultra Accurate Rifle?

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  CHW2021 
#1 ·
I am looking for a ridiculous accurate rifle. I have some that will shoot same hole most of the time, but now am looking at maybe a custom. For those that have one is it really like comparing a VW to a Caddy? Let me know what you have or have shot that fits this. Thanks everyone for reading and any help.

#2 ·
McMillian in .308 and .416 Che Tac ( $ 6700 and $8000 respectively)

Anchultz M 12 in .22 LR and i've a weatherby V .300 win mag thats just as good as the Mac i think .. but i do need to put a better scope on it to match the rifles capabilities , waiting on that now

G
#4 ·
What kind of shooting are you looking at doing?

A 100 yard bench rest gun is totally different than an F-Open gun or a 3 gun rifle.

A 100 yard bench gun can have a heavy barrel and a 45 to 60x scope on it. An F-Class gun will not have the optics or the barrel profile of a bench gun.

Just like a hunting rifle is different from a long range tactical rifle.

#7 ·
Chasing perfect zero is what its all about. I share your bloodlust Gene. Its why I got hooked building rifles. Im getting ready to start my second build.

#9 ·
Kelbly looks good. I looked at the Remington 700 Target Tactical online and they look good and so does the T/C Warlord. Like I said if I ever get to the point that I am satisfied with a group then I will quit shooting. I know that will NEVER happen though. LOLOL

#13 ·
I think those Macmillan stocks have something to do with it. I have bought a couple used Mark V's, previous owners had them bedded on Macmillan stocks, triggers worked on; they both hold 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards; course they are hunting guns and I'm happy enough.

All the used guns for sale on various local lists, I'd shoot some first and then buy the best one I find.

#14 ·
hey the options available for Rem 700 tubers are excellent now ..
I know! the one im lookin at uses the AI 5 rounder box mag. Im thinkin Im gonna do it with a 30 inch tube in 7mm08 9 twist so I can run high BC 175s

#17 · (Edited)
I didn't know Cheyanne Tactical made a .416! I thought that was Barrett.
The .408 Cheyanne Tactical is a fantastic long range rifle round. My dad owns a semi-custom CheyTac .408 Defender. Only thing thats different is barrel length, he went with a prototype 27''. It came with a Manners stock(composite im pretty sure) from the factory, but he had McMallian build him a fiberglass version, and it shoots like a dream! Crisp, clean trigger, slick, smooth action, and it "thumps" less than my .300WM. I just wish the ammo didnt cost so much from Jamison! If i had the opportunity to shoot the .408 CheyTac more often, Im sure it would quickly become my FAVORITE cartridge! Its an absolute pleasure to shoot, and even tho the shooter makes the shot, this rifle simply...Gets the job done, with minimal user input. Its not necesssarily forgiving, but I 'spose it's...Easy to shoot.(I dunno if I should go that far, but it just "feels" that way when you shoulder it, and let one fly!) Another note about my miniscule long range rifle expereinces... Optics. Plays a large role in how accurate your shots are. I personally think the Nikon Monarch that my dad chose is one of the best scopes ever built. His is the 8-32x50mm(w/ Parralax adj.) It makes all the difference when you are trying to hold on a target that is well in excess of a half mile away!

Good luck finding a rifle to suit your needs Gene! Keep us updated sir!

#18 ·
it was a experimental round i really took too

60% more range than .50 BMG 45% more energy and way better BC and accuracy

and dodges a few of the BS laws here

yes its not common and may one day be a dead duck , but i stocked up on it while i could and Mac where only too happy to make it for me , good folks

#21 ·
Gene,

Your search for a Ultra Accurate Rifle sent me off on a tangent (not hard to do when it comes to guns) so this will prolly be way too long. Here goes:

The absolute best practical rifle I know of is made by a company called Tac-Ops. I've only seen pics so no personal experience but everybody that has one loves 'em. Based on a 700 and come with a .25 inch MOA gaurantee.
They don't come cheap ($3000-$5000 I think). Here's a write up by a Army Sniper with some links to pictures of the rifles themselves at the bottom of the page. Oh, BTW, you'll probably wait over a year to get one as Military and LEOs go to the head of the line. http://www.snipercentral.com/tango51.htm

I've come to the conclusion if I were going to go custom I'd contact a really good smith and Start from the ground up. Caliber, Barrel length, Barrel maker, Action, Stock, etc. etc. Sure sounds like fun huh? Here's a couple guys that I've considered contacting for a project like you're considering. I urge you to peruse their sites and see the type of work they do. They'll get your juices flowing.

This guy makes his own actions though he doesn't mention it on his site.
http://www.louisianaprecisionrifles.com/default.aspx

This guy is good to work with and, I believe, very fair. I've purchased a few things from him. He also has some outstanding package deals that he'll modify any way you want. I believe his blueprinted 700 based Shilen Barreled packages would be all the rifle you could ever want. His Surgeon reciever packages are over the top.

http://www.excorioprecisionarms.com/

All that being said there are some awful good outa the box rifles, a Rem 700 5R Milspec comes to mind or any of the Savage 10 FCPs would pobably outshoot my abilities.

Decisions, Decisions? So many choices and so little time:D

Let us know which route you take.

#23 ·
Ill vouch for the 5Rs too. A friend of mine, Dammon, shoots one and has frequently outshot competitors running $5K+ rigs. He has less than 2500 in his including the scope and mount.

#24 ·
Thanks everyone. I have always had good to great guns by adding to, but this time I want one that as soon as it comes out of the box I think WOW. I really like my 308 and I had a Model 700 in 260 years ago. My nephew borrowed the .260 every deer season and his wife wanted to give it to him for Christmas one year and since I would give him my life. Well you know the rest.

#26 ·
Might be a custom shop deal. Google search comes up with em. Buds is letting them go for a grand. Think of the Rem 700 5R as a stainless civilian version of the M24 sniper rifle currently employed by marines and army snipers.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

Watch the you tube vids on it. it is just one of those crazy accurate guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.