The Firearms Forum banner

Ultrasonic cleaning rifle parts and pistols

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on cleaning gun parts in a ultrasonic tank? Will it damage on the finishes on pistol frames or slides? Anyone using it in this fashion?

#2 ·
I have a quart and a half ultrasonic cleaner I got from Harbor Freight. I use Ballistol, mixed one part Ballistol to nine parts water. It looks like skim milk.

I have field stripped and put the pieces of a 1911 in there, and it got it very clean. I saw no finish damage.

I have done a 4" N frame. The tank is small enough that the entire gun would not fit (that's why I broke down the 1911), so I had to put the grip end in, and after cleaning that, turn it over and put the barrel end in. It cleaned nicely. Lots of dirt and crap in the bottom of the tank when I was done. No finish damage that I noticed.

I've only used it for extremely nasty guns, so I don't use it often. But it does a good job.

#3 ·
I don't own an ultrasonic bath, but used one in a gun shop, where they are great. They cut cleaning time for something like a Winchester 94 from an hour or more to a few minutes. I have limited experience with polymer parts, but they don't seem to be harmed any. Wood parts (stocks, grips) defnintely should be removed from the gun before dunking.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.