UMC ammo-opinions?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rocklinskier, Oct 15, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

To be specific, .45 ACP

Does anyone use the Rem/UMC full jacket for paper shooting? Is it O.K. or not so? Dirty, FTF's, inaccurate, etc. or perfectly fine?

Second option is Blazer. I've shot only one box of the Blazer, it seems O.K. but as I only shot a partial box (sharing with 2 buddies) I didn't get a really good example

I'm sort of a Winchester fan (but not picky), but getting hard to find these days, and not too economic when I do find it.

Thanks
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

UMC.... Nope... never again!

Its been quite a few years but i had several 45acp rounds that were without a powder charge or insuficient powder charge. Several rounds just poped out the end of the barrel and dropped to the ground. Then one finally got stuck in the barrel.

They didn't all come from the same box... about every 3rd box had a round or two that were powderless. If a person is not paying attention that can destroy a gun....one lodged in the barrel...next one blows the chamber apart etc etc etc.

So to answer your question if UMC is good ammo....

HECK NO!!!!

mike
    gn
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have shot quite a few blazers. Just about all of them aluminum case. I have never had one problem.
  4. wingspar

wingspar Member

I picked up a box of Remington UMC FMJ 130 grain 38's recently, and noticed no problems. I was loading every other chamber (revolver) with the UMC 130 gain shells and 158 grain shells I already had. I only shot a few, but I couldn’t really tell the difference, and since I felt lucky to find any .38 ammo in the first place, I’m not complaining. Cost $19.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I bought some Remington Yellow Box 9mm, 115 ball. It was loaded lighter than PMC or WWB. It was also not loaded consistently. I was shooting an open-bolt SMG. I would fire a three-round burst, and then get off the trigger. The gun would continue to fire for several more rounds. The ammo was not powerful enough to send the bolt all the way back, so that when I released the trigger it would catch. But it was powerful enough to send it almost all the way back, so it had enough forward momentum to fire the next round. If, when doing this, it had continued until the magazine was empty, then I would have concluded that it was just weak ammo. But I'd fire three and get off and it would fire two more. Then I would fire three and get off and it would fire four more. But it would eventually hit one that had enough power to push the bolt back far enough to catch. This is how I knew it was not consistent. It had strong and weak rounds together.

I had a case of it. I sold that crap. Won't get it again. Remington makes good guns, but they sure seem to make lousy ammo.
  6. questor

questor Member

+1
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Dirtiest ammunition I have ever used hands down.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Thanks guys. Going on a quest this weekend for .45 FMJ. Want to get a couple hundred rounds. Just replaced the sear spring, recoil spring & main spring in an old mdl.1927 and want to go put a box or two thru it to break it all in. Last thing I need is "iffy" ammo to make me second guess my rebuild.

Looks like the UMC deal is out. I'll stick to Blazer, Winchester or American Eagle.

Much appreciated.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

blazer, winchester, federal, american eagle, magtec, i've shot remington's but not much.
  10. williamd

williamd New Member

Use UMC in 38 and 45 and like it fine.
  11. Duckboats

Duckboats New Member

Check into the PMC brand also. Bought some for the rifle and I noticed from the brass I picked up, a ton of people used it on the rifle range (.223) and it didn't cause any problems. It is also pretty clean comparitively to Wolf, Federal and Military ammo shot. I have a bunch of the PMC cases and they are the cleanest I have seen go through the ARs.