UN Arms treaty response from my senator

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 1969SS396, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

After signing the online petition, I got a response from my Senator.........

Thank you for contacting me about the proposed United Nations (UN) Arms Trade Treaty (ATT). I appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

The illegal manufacture and trafficking of firearms contributes to crime and violence around the world by arming criminals, terrorists, and other militant groups. Illicit firearms, especially small arms and light weapons, can destabilize entire regions by fueling armed conflict and violence against innocent civilians. In addition, the presence of such weapons complicates humanitarian relief programs, peacekeeping initiatives and the development of democratic societies. According to the United Nations, there are more than 875 million small arms and light weapons in circulation worldwide, and these weapons are responsible for approximately 300,000 deaths every year.

Over the years, the United States and other UN member governments have undertaken both national and international efforts to combat the significant increase in illegally manufactured and trafficked firearms. U.S. policy includes attempting to curb black market transfers of small arms to zones of conflict, terrorists, international criminal organizations and/or drug traffickers; encouraging other nations to raise arms export standards to U.S. standards; streamlining and strengthening U.S. export procedures to improve accountability without interfering with the legal trade in or transfer of arms; and supporting the destruction of excess stockpiles of small arms, particularly in regions where conflicts have ended. In July 2001, a nonbinding “Program of Action” (PoA) was adopted by UN member governments, including the United States, that encouraged nations to ensure that manufacturers use markings on small arms and light weapons to facilitate the tracing of illicit weapons transfers; establish procedures to monitor legal sales, transfer and stockpiling of small arms and light weapons; and make the illegal manufacture, trade and possession of such weapons a criminal offense.

In 2008, the UN General Assembly convened a UN Group of Governmental Experts to examine the possibility of an international treaty focused on denying arms to groups that would abuse them, including rogue states, terrorist organizations and illegal militias. Under the Bush administration, the United States was an active participant in the 2008 UN Group of Governmental Experts and endorsed the Group’s recommendations for an international framework for controlling the international conventional arms trade. In October 2009, the United States voted for a UN resolution laying out a schedule for talks on the proposed Arms Trade Treaty, including a final UN Conference on the ATT in 2012.

The United States supported the resolution in part because it states that the 2012 Conference will operate under the rule of consensus decision-making, a provision that was necessary to gain U.S. backing. According to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, “as long as that Conference operates under the rule of consensus decision-making needed to ensure that all countries can be held to standards that will actually improve the global situation by denying arms to those who would abuse them, the United States will actively support the negotiations. Consensus is needed to ensure the widest possible support for the Treaty and to avoid loopholes in the Treaty that can be exploited by those wishing to export arms irresponsibly.” In this instance, consensus decision-making means that the United States maintains its right to veto any agreement produced by the 2012 Conference.

Some have raised concerns that UN efforts to combat the illegal international arms trade may restrict the rights of law-abiding American citizens, despite the fact that the proposed ATT is focused on the illegal manufacture and trafficking of firearms around the world. While I believe these concerns are misplaced in regard to the proposed ATT, it is important that any efforts to curb the illegal international arms trade do not infringe on the rights of law-abiding U.S. citizens.

As the world’s largest exporter of conventional weapons and a government that is widely considered to have the gold-standard on arms export controls, the United States has a special responsibility to promote responsible global arms trade. I support ratification of a strong and effective ATT, and I look forward to working with the administration and my Senate colleagues to achieve that goal.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
    Carl Levin
    levin.senate.gov
  2. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Standard letter, Liberal blather
  3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

If that was true it would be a great thing but we know it wont work.
  4. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

He needs to go and for more then just this
  5. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

At least you got a response.
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Doncha just love these clowns. I once wrote my senator about illegal immigration, and got a letter back lecturing me on the contributions (legal) immigrants have made to American society over the last two centuries. These people are masters at ignoring facts.
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Good old Carl levin is my senator too. He is as liberal and backwards thinking as the rest of them.
  8. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

"The illegal manufacture and trafficking of firearms..."
    There's your sign.:mad::mad:
  9. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

And of course, banning illegally manufactured arms will prevent them from falling into the hands of terrorists, etc. Ya, right!
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hey take a look here , a good way to make money is to make guns as they be hard to get ..

Attached Files:

11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, the old liberal double talk. Whoda thunk it?
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Blah, blah blah puke puke spit spit....liberal nonsense......
  13. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I dont think much of carl levin,another life long politician thats out of touch.
  14. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Here's WA state's response to my letter:

Looks almost identical to the response I got about the Reciprocity Act of 2012! the last paragraph is verbatum.

Dear Mr. A,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

In 2006 the United Nations General Assembly requested that the Secretary-General of the United Nations (U.N.) establish a group of governmental experts to draft parameters binding nations to common international standards with respect to import, export, and transfer of conventional arms. Between 2009 and 2012, the U.N. will hold Open Ended Work Group Meetings and Preparatory Committee Meetings in order to draft a treaty to be voted on at the 2012 U . N . Conference.

In October of 2009 Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stated that "the U.S. is committed to actively pursuing a strong and robust treaty that contains the highest possible, legally-binding standards for the international transfer of conventional weapons." By limiting the use and exchange of small arms, countries can reduce the amount of irresponsible arms transfers to terrorist and radical organizations. This can ultimately help achieve a common goal by all nations, protecting their citizens while maintaining their national sovereignty.

Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS) introduced the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act (S. 2205) on March 19, 2012. If enacted, this legislation would prohibit the use of U.S. funds from being used to negotiate a UN Small Arms Treaty. S. 2205 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations where it currently awaits further review.

Please know that a fundamental goal for me as your Senator is to work to uphold the rights guaranteed by our Constitution. Just as I am committed to protecting Second Amendment rights, I believe you would agree with my long-standing conviction that we must keep guns out of the hands of criminals and children. I believe that our first step in reducing crime and make our communities safer should be stricter enforcement of existing gun laws that punish illegal use of firearms and that make access to guns harder for children and criminals.

As your Senator, you can be assured that I will work to protect the legitimate rights of law-abiding American gun-owners, while continuing to support responsible gun control legislation to I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws

While the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty has not come to a vote on the Senate floor, please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should I have the opportunity to consider this issue in the future.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my website at
    http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/index.html
  15. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dear Sir/Madam
    What...you don't like me? But I responded to all your letters.
    As soon as my secretary saw the subject matter she found the appropriate file in the computer, added your name and address and sent it off. I hope you liked the personal touch.

Signed,
    Your liberal political beneficent paternal controller.

I make more money than you do and I duped enough people to vote me into office, so I can tell you what to do and how to live your life.