UN Wants US Investigated For Human Deaths By Drone

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by raven818, Jun 9, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

ISLAMABAD: The UN human rights chief on Thursday called for a UN investigation into US drone strikes in Pakistan, questioning their legality and saying they kill innocent civilians.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay made the remarks at the end of a four-day visit to the country, where US drone strikes have on average targeted militants once every four days under US President Barack Obama.

Islamabad is understood to have approved the strikes on Al Qaeda and Taliban targets in the past. But the government has become increasingly energetic in its public opposition as relations with Washington have nosedived.

“Drone attacks do raise serious questions about compliance with international law,” Pillay told a news conference in Islamabad.

“The principle of distinction and proportionality and ensuring accountability for any failure to comply with international law is also difficult when drone attacks are conducted outside the military chain of command and beyond effective and transparent mechanisms of civilian or military control,” she said.

She said the attacks violate human rights.

“I see the indiscriminate killings and injuries of civilians in any circumstances as human rights violations.”

The UN human rights chief provided no statistics but called for an investigation into civilian casualties, which she said were difficult to track.

“Because these attacks are indiscriminate it is very, very difficult to track the numbers of people who have been killed,” she said.

“I suggested to the government that they invite the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Summary or Arbitrary Executions and he will be able to investigate some of the incidents.”

She said UN chief Ban Ki-moon had urged states to be “more transparent” about circumstances in which drones are used and take necessary precautions to ensure that the attacks involving drones comply with applicable international law.

“So therefore I stress the importance of investigating such cases and ensuring compensation and redress to the victims.”

Washington releases few details about its covert drone programme in Pakistan but on Wednesday US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta described them as self-defence and promised that they would continue to target Al Qaeda in Pakistan.

Rut-ro, the UN's paper tiger is angry. What'll we do now? :eek:
  2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The stinking UN? I couldn't care less what the UN thinks. As far as I'm concerned the high and almighty UN High Commissioner for Human Rights can be used for Drone target practice.
  3. nstoolman1

nstoolman1 Member

I heard they(US Government) want to authorize use of them in the US. They could just as well arm them.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Un gave 1600 top line russian design tank and helipcopter killer missles , to the Libyan militia's , why are they shooting down aircraft in afghanistan ?
  5. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I am suprised Panetta is not caving on this. Might be a ploy for them to make Obama look better. Five months till election.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think we should send some drones over the UN.
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Does any other country in the world even have drones besides the US? I haven't heard about any. Maybe the Brits?
  8. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We supplied the Brits with them, and the technology. Oh, and Iran ( almost forgot ). Now Russia and China has it. Or maybe it was an auction, can't say one way or the other. :eek: