Unburned powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LesterPTelestrat, Sep 29, 2010.

1. LesterPTelestrat

LesterPTelestrat New Member

After shooting up 100 rounds of my "Precision Bullet" loads. (lead with a molly coating) today I noticed a fair amount of unburned powder on the tarp I setup to catch my brass. I shoot at an outdoor range and would loose all my brass if I didn't do this.

I'm shooting .45 ACP using Unique powder and Winchester primers. The loads were charged with 5.0 grains of powder and seating 230 grain bullets at 1.20"

Is it common to see unburned powder? I've never noticed it before, but now that I'm recovering my brass by using a tarp I can easily see the little disc shaped Unique powder flakes on the tarp. I don't know if this will happen with FMJ's. I'll try that tomorrow or this weekend.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

With Unique it does tend to get a bit messy with incomplete burn, makes a beautiful stainless 1911 look like a musket after a hundred or so rounds. Try some bullseye,the cleanest burner I have found is power pistol. I'd say that moly coated lead is not helping your clean factor either.....
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are many other choices of powder available for 45 ACP reloading. Unique is an old powder that suffers from being very dirty. Other powders do much better.

I use Winchester 231 or its Hodgdon EXACT equivalent HP38. It is more economical than Unique and can be used in all handgun loads from 25ACP to 45 Long Colt. And it works well in all.

LDBennett
  4. LesterPTelestrat

LesterPTelestrat New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I've been thinking of changing powders and since I'm almost out of Unique I'll try the Win 231 or Hodgdon equivalent.
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

My pet load used to be 5.5 gr of Unique behind a 200 gr, SWC. Nice accurate load that never failed to function, but, as said, dirty and also didn't meter well from my Lyman measure, I changed to Bullseye and never found a target load I liked, so now I use Win 231 and have had no complainds.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    230 Laser Cast RN 5.0grs AA#2 @766fps, 5.6grs AA#2 @ 870fps max presure17,200. No lube.
  7. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

Try Titegroup 4.8 gr, with 200gr. Lee swc It burns clean & groups great out to 50 yds.
  8. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Very old memory seems to be trying to tell me that 231 was formulated specifically for .45 ACP. I've known a lot of old timers who used to do contract loading for LE when LE and .45 were much more closely related. If you suggested using anything but 5.0 gr. of 231, they would begin to wonder if you was all that much worth knowing after all.