under 21-can't purchase a handgun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by rcanis, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rcanis

rcanis New Member

Here's the situation. I am a student at the University of New Orleans. I am 18 years old. Given that I live in one of the most murder prone areas of the United States, I feel that it is prudent to carry a firearm, or rather since I am under 21 and get get a concealed carry permit, to keep a gun in my glove box. Unfortunately, while possession of a handgun at 18 is legal, purchase is not.(I never understood the rational behind that) My question is this, are there any non-handgun alternatives that make sense to keep in a car for self-defense. On a side note, I drove a little Honda Civic. Thanks in advance.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

If you have a parent that would buy a handgun and let you "borrow" it until you're 21 (and then sell it to you), that would get you right around it.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into whether it is legal for you to purchase a handgun from an individual rather than from a dealer (I know nothing about Louisiana law).

As for options other than handguns... if you can keep a short rifle in a handgun caliber (.357 lever action gun or something like that), that might work.
    Tasers, stun guns, and pepper spray all work pretty well. (I've only been hit with the stun gun, but I have no desire to try any of them again).
  3. rcanis

rcanis New Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I live with my mom who is very anti firearm. My dad lives in another state, do you know what the legalities behind <i>him</i> letting me borrow a handgun would be?
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I think that would depend a lot on the registration laws in the state where he lives. Which state is he in?
  5. rcanis

rcanis New Member

He live in North Carolina. Maybe this is a little sketchy/completely illegal, but since its not illegal in Louisiana to own a handgun at 18, just to purchase, do you know if it would be illegal to drive to a state where its not illegal(or is it federal law?) and purchase the gun there?
  6. Erich

Erich New Member

Albuquerque NM USA - 6000' above sea level
    Good Lord, that would be illegal! :eek:

Amigo, I'm a criminal defense lawyer. You're asking questions about an area of the law that's fraught with pitfalls for the unwary or the slightly-ill-informed, and you're asking on the internet. Please do not get your legal advice in this way - one tiny mis-step could result in your imprisonment. Instead, consult a gun-friendly attorney in your area.
  7. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

You wouldn't be able to drive to NC to buy your gun anyway. Here you have to get a permit from the Sheriff's office to purchase a handgun. (Unless you have your CCW permit, but that's not really relevant here.)

If your dad happened to give you the firearm as a gift or something, you'd probably be in good shape. In the end though, Erich is probably right. Consulting a legal expert in your area would be the best thing to do.

Many college campuses have centers where students can get legal advice. If your school does, that'd be the best place to start. However, if I were you I would do it under the guise of writing a paper on the subject or something. No need to stir up any nonsense. ;)

You're also experiencing first hand the way that many gun laws that would probably be called "common sense" don't make any sense.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. rcanis

rcanis New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I figured the whole driving-to-another-state thing would probably be illegal. Looks like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

Rufus
  9. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Patience, Grasshopper. Go with the nonlethal options for now until you attain legality.

More'n likely you will get in trouble if the weapon is found in your glovebox without you having a CCW.

BTW, Welcome aboard TFF!
  10. rcanis

rcanis New Member

patience, I think I may have heard of that at one point.

From what I understand Louisiana has a "glove box" law. i.e. you don't need a CCW to keep a gun in your car. Of course no firearm is still probably the safest legal option.
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

In Louisiana your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can carry a loaded firearm anywhere you please in your vehicle. Remember all the hell we caught for our "shoot the carjacker" law, which has worked out quite well for some carjackers IMO. :D

By the way, welcome to the forum Rcanis

Art
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008