1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Under The Bed Pistol Vault?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Guardian, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Guardian

Guardian New Member

I'm looking for a small vault to mount under my bed to hold my pistol. I've seen the regular small boxes with the five finger combo. However I want to mount it upside down, therefore the hinge for the door would be on top (like a dump truck door) making it ver hard to reach in and grab the gun.

I want to bolt this to the bottom of the bed with the finger combo facing towards the ground, but I want the hinge on the bottom so the door flops open. Then I can fashion a holster inside the box so the gun is in perfect position for me to grab.

Has anyone seen a rig like this for sale?

Had anyone fab'd one?

Thanks.

I didn't know if this was the best forum to post, but since it's mostly people worried about self and home protection I figured ya'll would have some ideas. If there's a better place to post this question, please let me know and I'm move it.
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'm just curious though... If you put the combo in on the very bottom and the door flops open in an upward direction, then your hand is already in grabbing range because you're below the door already since you just put the combination in... Can't you just reach up a bit and grab the gun from the vault? Of course there's the possibility that the door will hit your wrist but you're still under the opening... Am I missing something?

The Remington and Gunvault safes I've seen all open downward if the keypad is on top...
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

In either case, mounting the keypad entry upside down, the door is going to get in your way... Maybe I'm not understanding correctly... Or course, this wouldn't be the first time.

Are you asking for something that can be mounted with the keypad entry on the top and still have the door open away from you in a downward direction?... If so, I've never seen something designed specifically for that...
  4. Guardian

Guardian New Member

The standard boxes have the key pad on the top and the hinge is on the bottom. So yes, if you set it on the counter and hit the combo the doors falls open.

I'm talking about mounting it upside down. This would cause the hinge to be at the top and the door would just dangle in the way.

I think I found a good solution, the bioprint boxes. These use one fingerprint sensor to gain access. I can mount this with a small gap between the bed and the top of the box, allowing me enough clearance to get my thumb on the reader. Then the door opens down as designed and I have full access.

Has anyone used one of these?

I especially like it because it allows to save up to 16 prints for access. So my wife and I can both have access, but my daughter cannot accidentally hit the right combo and get to the gun.

M