1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Underhammer lock

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by stash247, Mar 16, 2008.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

I have, in front of me, an underhammer percussion lock plate, stamped "Mackeraghan" on the left side, well made, a coil and flat spring action.
    Question one, any body else ever seen one, and can you offer some info, on it?
    Question two, in what NMLRA class must I shoot a riflle, for silouhettes, based on such an action? Is it 'traditional', based on the exposed hammer, or 'open/ unlimited' based on the direct ignition?
    I have all the pieces, barrel, plug, a big chunk of black cherry stumpwood, so, am gonna build the rifle, but would like to know about the lock, and NMLRA rulings, on the same.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. spud

spud New Member

The name don't ring a bell however is sounds like a recently made lock. custom made underhammer locks are very popular in the bench class and chunk/over the log shoots your class would depend more on the configuration of the gun then the lock.However I have been protested when I have shown up at a club shoot with a 18# .54cal offhand underhammer target rifle with Redfield oylimpic globe sights.(guess I made them nervous!!):D
    HAVE PICS WILL E-MAIL- Had to shoot for score only-spud
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

By the work, a modern action, but by whom, and where?
    It is a perfect direct ignition action, with a marvelous trigger geometry, and lock time.
    Gonna build a .40 on it, for steel silhouettes.
    Any body with info, pease post, here in the main.
    Thanks.