Underhammer lock

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by stash247, Mar 16, 2008.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

I have, in front of me, an underhammer percussion lock plate, stamped "Mackeraghan" on the left side, well made, a coil and flat spring action.
    Question one, any body else ever seen one, and can you offer some info, on it?
    Question two, in what NMLRA class must I shoot a riflle, for silouhettes, based on such an action? Is it 'traditional', based on the exposed hammer, or 'open/ unlimited' based on the direct ignition?
    I have all the pieces, barrel, plug, a big chunk of black cherry stumpwood, so, am gonna build the rifle, but would like to know about the lock, and NMLRA rulings, on the same.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. spud

spud New Member

The name don't ring a bell however is sounds like a recently made lock. custom made underhammer locks are very popular in the bench class and chunk/over the log shoots your class would depend more on the configuration of the gun then the lock.However I have been protested when I have shown up at a club shoot with a 18# .54cal offhand underhammer target rifle with Redfield oylimpic globe sights.(guess I made them nervous!!):D
    HAVE PICS WILL E-MAIL- Had to shoot for score only-spud
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

By the work, a modern action, but by whom, and where?
    It is a perfect direct ignition action, with a marvelous trigger geometry, and lock time.
    Gonna build a .40 on it, for steel silhouettes.
    Any body with info, pease post, here in the main.
    Thanks.