Union Switch & Signal

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Steve G 1944, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Steve G 1944

Steve G 1944 New Member

I have a Union Switch & Signal But the the SN is 981704 and has FJA and a P just under that on left side,on right side crossed cannons Is this just a miss match?
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am far from being an expert but your Ser#981704 is a 1943 Union Switch & Signal frame and the FJA stamp is Col. Frank J. Atwood who was the inspector for Reming/Rand, Ithaca, and Union Switch & Signal. That would be the frame. What's stamped on the slide? Got pics?? Pics would be good!:D

As a side note, I was doing some research on my 1943 Ithaca and discovered that my left grip is an early "Keyes" and the right grip is a Colt Type 2 grip.:( Also the mag that came with it with actual 1942 bullets came from a Colt. It was marked with a "G" on the bottom of the mag. I bought a mag at the last gunshow with an "S" on the bottom of the mag which is "Ithaca". Anybody got an extra right hand early Keyes grip they want to donate.:D:D
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I keep looking for a US&S slide at a price I can live with to go with my mixed up at the depot 1911A1. US&S frame, Rem/Rand slide.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You might get lucky and find someone who has the opposite and will want to swap.
  5. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Crossed cannons sounds like Springfield Armory?
  6. BILLYDIXON

BILLYDIXON New Member

I bought a 1911 about 25 years ago with a Remington Rand slide on it. Then checked the serial # and it said it was a Union Switch & Signal. So I looked for a slide and found one at a gunshow for $300.00 so I bought it. I looked in another book and the serial # is listed for a Remington Rand. So I'm not sure which is which. I did read that when Union Switch & Signal started making 1911 they used Remington Rand parts in the begining.