Universal decapper?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by joncutt87, Jul 30, 2011.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

May 24, 2011
    Kannapolis, NC
    Should I spend the $13 and get one?

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Fort Worth
    Yes, the big advantage IMO is to decap rifle brass, clean and then size. I don't have to mess with my sizing die as I prefer to size after decapping. I can also decap multiple calibers at the same time. I use the RCBS die.

3. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Sure. If you like to deprime cases before throwing them in the tumbler. You can also use it for all those crimped military cases as well. I use mine for all my rifle brass, then throw them in the tumbler. Should any media get caught in the flash hole, it just gets popped out when I run them through the sizing die.

4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

May 24, 2011
    Kannapolis, NC
    Ok, my biggest deal is that I live in a condo. So I can at least decap here and reload at my parents.

5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    I use the LEE decapper. It is a must have for anyone that wants to reload..

6. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

May 24, 2011
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'm looking at a Lee through fleabay

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    I bought one because i used to shoot a rolling block .45/70 and I reloaded the brass unsized. so to decap I just ran them thru a uni decapper, reprimed, and loaded 38 grains of RX7 under a 500 gr lead bullet.. Bloody accurate loads too..

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    If you load 5.56 military brass, and have to swage out the primer crimp, it's easier to get the rod through a "fired" .232 case-mouth hole, than it is through a "resized" .220 hole. Universal decapper is real nice for that.

9. medalguy

medalguy Member

Feb 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    Universal pins also seem to be tougher. At least all the postings I read about broken decapping pins never mention a universal die. I use them exclusively.

10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    ask pops ( Armedandsafe), the Pops O cap uses a lee decapper and we are getting em cheaper than $13 i think .. ;)

11. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Active Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Medina, Ohio
    Decappers are also good if you have to deprive just primed cases for some reason. I decided to anneal all my 22/250 cases and deprime a few that were ready to load. I then reprimed them later using the same primers.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  12. David8989

David8989 New Member

May 1, 2011
    Justin, TX
    Also if you wet tumble or ever decide to you'd decap before you clean for a nearly perfectly cleaned case inside and out :)

13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    Are they ready for the masses yet?? I was thinkin he still had some minor details to work out.. Great if they are.. I want one..:)