Universal M1 30 Cal Carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pinkerpv, Apr 4, 2008.

1. pinkerpv

pinkerpv New Member

I recently purchased a NIB M1 30 Cal Carbine mfg by Universal. It is a type 3 and has the sling, oiler, 2 3 15 rnd magazines and one 10 rnd, original owners manual and even the warranty paper. Also a box of 50 rounds. It came from a collection of friends father in law. It truly looks like it has never been fired. I know it is not one of the actual carbines made for WW 2 and was actually made in the early 80s. I have also heard of some of the firing problems associated with this model w/ the double recoil spring. Good hardwood stock and good metal. No scratches or marks.

Just did a search and checked the other posts and got some info from them. Sn is 417xxx. I'm going to take it to a gun show tomorrow to see what I can get for it.
    Any idea what it might be worth.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

With originals in the $600-$1000 range I think you could get anywhere from $300-$500 for a universal, depending on how bad the buyer wants one.
  3. yaterbob

yaterbob New Member

I had a universal out of Hialeah,Fla. and it had a winchester receiver with winchester trigger and bolt and a universal barrel. and I understand they are made with a poupouri of WWII and Korea era parts which can be intriguing to collectors. Most have WWII receivers and various manufacturers. I put a NOS Win. barrel on it and got $550 6 years ago.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Early Universals were made with all GI parts. As production continued, more parts were made in-house, including receivers.
    The later models like yours were not GI spec, but were still good guns.
  5. msweeting77

msweeting77 New Member

I recently bought a m1 .30 cal universal rifle serial#105031 would like to know the age of it and value could you help me with this
  6. msweeting77

msweeting77 New Member

also there is supposed to be a lever to hold the reciver
    open but there isn,t
    one wondering why
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I see them selling for $600-$700 on the auctions. Blue Book is about 1/2 that

As for age I don't know of any records of the Ser #. Can tell you that you have a low number as there were (corrected) 450,000+ of them turned out by Universal.

I have # 44,15x that is all Mil parts except barrel and stock

Here is probably the most complete info compiled on the Universal

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Pull the bolt back a push the little button down on top of the cocking piece