Universal M1 Carbine Jams...

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CobraGT40, Sep 21, 2009.

1. CobraGT40

CobraGT40 New Member

Hey all !

I have had a Universal M1 Carbine that I traded some cylinder heads for to a buddy of mine about 10 years ago. I don't really use it that much, but its pretty fun to shoot. Only problem is that it's prone to jamming. I have about half-dozen 15 round mags and four 30 round mags and it seems to jam up more with the 30 rounders. However, it jams with all of them, just some more than others...even the new ones.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this ? I know the later model Universal M1's (which I have) had declining quality and I'm sure that's a factor.

Thanks !

Scott
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i'd start by checking all the magazines. buy one good magazine a surplus gov't issue still in the wrap. they are still around and easy to find. try it with the "better" magazine and see if that solves the problem. remember to keep the gun well oiled. check the feed ramp for burrs. usa a crocus cloth to slick up the feed ramp. stay out of jr's gun store just off new york ave :) and try getting the mag from the kane county gun show or the dupage show
  3. CobraGT40

CobraGT40 New Member

I hear ya on the J.R. Shooting Sports on New York St... that place is pricey ! If I were to buy from a gun store it would be Mega Sports in Plainfield...they aren't TOO bad.

I actually bought a couple of those surplus mags at the Kane County Gun Show and they work a little better than some of the other ones I have, but they will still jam from time to time. I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens...if not, my boss's buddy is a gunsmith on the side, so I'll have him take a look at it.

Thanks !

Scott
  4. magfree

magfree New Member

I have a Universal m1, too. It fails to driver the cartridge from the mag into battery. In other words it fails to chamber the next round.

Could this be caused by weak recoil springs?

Any suggestions?
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

It's most likely a rough feed ramp. Mine fed hard ball fine but wouldn't feed soft points. I polished the feed ramp and now it feeds anything I put in it whether it's the 15 round mags or the 30 round mags.
  6. magfree

magfree New Member

I received a suggestion that it could be the mag. When I examined the magazine I did notice the rim of the case neck caught on the mag edge.
  7. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

Maybe I can help if you describe the "jam." If it is a high-nose failure to feed, the lips may be holding the cartridge a little too long. Bend or cut 1/8-inch of the front of one lip and see if that helps. If it is a low-nose failure to feed, try holding the magazine up into the mag well.