universal m1 carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by varminthunter1, Oct 20, 2009.

1. varminthunter1

varminthunter1 New Member

I have a universal stainless steel m1 carbine serial# F01233 if u have any info on what the gun may be worth or other information on what generation it might be would be much appreciated. I have heard mixed reviews on these rifles any help would be appreciated
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Universal carbines were not made in stainless steel. They were offered nickel plated. Perhaps this is what you have.
  3. varminthunter1

varminthunter1 New Member

From the serial # s01233 do u have any idea whether it is a first generation or what it may be worth? It is the first m1 i have owned and i bought it only because i thought the price was right $225 with 6 15 round clips and 200 rounds
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Not sure what your serial number is...... you've listed 2 different ones and I'm not sure either one is a valid s/n. If you could take a close look please and verify it. It may be a 5. Universal treated records like Liz Taylor treated husbands; there isn't much out there for pinning down an exact date.
    As far as value goes, probably in the 200-350 range, so you did pretty well as long as the gun is in good condition. Nothing Universal put out commands much over $400. At that point you may as well cut loose the wallet for the real GI.

Does it have an aluminum trigger housing or steel?
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Either nickle, chrome, or stainless steel, you have a very unusual Universal carbine. Universal did list them in chrome, stainless, and even gold plated. To find out if it is stainless, touch the metal with a magnet. If it doesn't stick, it's stainless. Let us know, and I'll give you a value.
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

First Generation:
    (Started with SN 0, ended between 93xxx - 104xxx):

The first generation Universal M1 Carbine mainly used USGI parts, including a USGI bolt locking mechanism. One example in the sub-5xxx SN range had an IBM barrel with flaming bomb emblem.

The transition in production between first generation and second generation is somewhere between 93xxx and 104xxx.

Second Generation:
    (Started between SN 93xxx - 104xxx, ended between SN 176xxx and 187xxx)

The second generation is where Universal got creative, started redesigning things, added the second recoil spring, and started to machine their own parts. This model eliminated the bolt locking mechanism all together. These had a leaf style flip rear sight, round bolt, magazine catch marked M, and new trigger housing. These could still accept the USGI trigger housing, and some had the M2 style metal upper handguard. The front sight was held on with a setscrew, rather than pinned as the USGI is.

The transition in production between second generation and third generation is somewhere between 176xxx and 187xxx.

Third Generation:
    (Started between SN 176xxx and 187xxx, went until end of production)

The third generation included cost saving designs that started the company's reputation for poor quality. Changes included a slide lock lever by the rear sight, the trigger housing was made of aluminum, and several safety features were deleted to reduce costs. This resulted in the ability of the rifle to fire out of battery.

The highest serial number documented so far is 486xxx.

More info
    http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

A magnet will stick to the stainless steel used in guns-so that won't tell you anything.
    I remember advertisements for Universals in nickel, gold, and possibly chrome plating, but nothing about stainless. Iver Johnson did make stainless carbines.
  8. flirtypup@live.com

flirtypup@live.com New Member

I really think it depends on whos looking at your M1. I bought mine new from SEARS Robuck for $109.00 in 1970. I have had serious offers from $100.00 to $650.00 all cash in hand. What your guns value is . What its worth to you. I would not sell mine for $5000.00 , but after I am gone my wife will likely sell it in a garage sale for $100.00 . Maybe Ill just take it with Me!