Universal M1-Carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by azleite, Oct 7, 2010.

1. azleite

azleite Member

The local shop has one in decent shape for $500.00-Are they any good? Is it worth that? No sling or oiler with it-Thanks Dave
  2. Goody

Goody Member

Not worth that to em. Look at the DFW gunshows and you can find a WW@ issue for 6-800. Universals lose interest to me after 300.
  3. azleite

azleite Member

Thank ya Goody, I'm doing a little reading up on 'em & I think I'll pass-Dave
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

So is currently making the Kahr ones? Is it Kahr or do they just sell/distribute them?
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Kahr acquired Auto Ordnance a few years ago. The M1 Carbine they offer is made by that division of Kahr. MSRP for the new ones starts around $1200. I haven't seen a new one, can't comment on that. But I did have the chance to handle and examine and then receive back from the purchaser (faulty ejector placement screwed up the bolt) one of the Kahr/AO Thompsons.
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

$1200-ouch, I will pass,thanks for the info.:eek:
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There were a number of companies making copies of the M1 Carbine when ammunition was $2 per hundred rounds and "real" GI carbines were scarce. The Universal was one; at first it used GI parts and wasn't bad, but when they had to make their own parts, QC deteriorated. So whether they are good or bad as guns depends on when an individual gun was made; they have no historical value.

Jim