Universal shot shell press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I need a shot shell loader that can be used for 12 and 20 gauge shells. Maybe like a Hornady progressive press for reloading brass. Just change a plate. I have a 20 gauge reloading press but I want to start loading 12s as well. However if I can get a dependable 12 gauge press for around $60 that would be OK to..

The last time I bought #8 shot I had to pay almost $2.00 per pound. Anyone have a good lead for shot #00 to #8 shot?

Thanks in advance...
  2. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I think you'll find having a second press is the best way to go, changing dies (and realignment) can be a pain. I have a number of presses that I use for various loading situations (some in the same guage).

If your looking for a nice used 12 ga press for around $60.00, look for a Pacific 155 on Ebay, they are about the equivilant of a Mec 600 or Sizemaster, they also use current 366 Hornady bushing's and produce pretty good shells.

I currently use a MEC Sizemaster, 600 Jr, 2 Dietmeyer 300's, a Pacific DL 155, and a Hornady 366, all producing factory quality shells.

Shot for $2.00 a pound seems a little high, $1.35 is about average today, when I started shotshell loading, 22 cents a pound was the going rate.
  3. bizy

bizy New Member

Ya, thanks freebore.. I think you are right. I have an RCBS single stage and a Hornady AP 5 stage press. The RCBS will turn out the same with every round. The AP I gotta watch like a hawk. I must say I didn't make the right decision when I bought it.

Anyway thanks for the post. I'm gonna stick with the simple single stage press and use 2 presses...
  4. scrat

scrat New Member

Cant beat a mec.