1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Universal shot shell press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I need a shot shell loader that can be used for 12 and 20 gauge shells. Maybe like a Hornady progressive press for reloading brass. Just change a plate. I have a 20 gauge reloading press but I want to start loading 12s as well. However if I can get a dependable 12 gauge press for around $60 that would be OK to..

The last time I bought #8 shot I had to pay almost $2.00 per pound. Anyone have a good lead for shot #00 to #8 shot?

Thanks in advance...
  2. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I think you'll find having a second press is the best way to go, changing dies (and realignment) can be a pain. I have a number of presses that I use for various loading situations (some in the same guage).

If your looking for a nice used 12 ga press for around $60.00, look for a Pacific 155 on Ebay, they are about the equivilant of a Mec 600 or Sizemaster, they also use current 366 Hornady bushing's and produce pretty good shells.

I currently use a MEC Sizemaster, 600 Jr, 2 Dietmeyer 300's, a Pacific DL 155, and a Hornady 366, all producing factory quality shells.

Shot for $2.00 a pound seems a little high, $1.35 is about average today, when I started shotshell loading, 22 cents a pound was the going rate.
  3. bizy

bizy New Member

Ya, thanks freebore.. I think you are right. I have an RCBS single stage and a Hornady AP 5 stage press. The RCBS will turn out the same with every round. The AP I gotta watch like a hawk. I must say I didn't make the right decision when I bought it.

Anyway thanks for the post. I'm gonna stick with the simple single stage press and use 2 presses...
  4. scrat

scrat New Member

Cant beat a mec.