Unknown 12 gauge

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jrswaney01, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jrswaney01

jrswaney01 New Member

I have received a gun with minimal markings. It is a 12 CA choke shotgun. there is what I believe to be a serial number on it. serial number L459L7. Can somebody help me identify the maker and what it might be worth. The gun is in a good overall condition. Thanks for the help!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"A 12 gauge shotgun. What is it?"

Need a little bit more information. Pictures would be REAL helpful. There's a whole lot of 12 gauge shotgun manufacturers out there.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum post pictures please
  4. jrswaney01

jrswaney01 New Member

The butt plate has H&R Arms Co. on it. Spoke with a Remington customer service rep and she told me that the "L" in the "serial number" may stand for the 1951 model year. The barrel length is 31 7/8". I'm still trying to figure out the model.

It is a single shot, breach w/lever on top to open the breach. It has a lever on the left side of the gun that you push down to cock the trigger.

It has been suggested to me that it is a Trap gun or a "Long Tom"

I'll try to get photos posted later today.
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

If the butt plate is marked H&R Arms and is the right one for the gun, it was made by Harrington & Richardson, who had no connection to Remington.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

hrf, within the last few years, Marlin bought H&R, and then Remington bought Marlin.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

But I doubt that Marlin/Remington retained H&R buttplates?

Do they have H&R records?
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

AFAIK, while they are owned by Remington (which itself is owned by some conglomerate), Marlin and New England Firearms (the successor to H&R) retained their corporate identities and business records.

Jim
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Remington/Marlin/H&R 1871 is a branch of "Cerebus Holdings". The H&R records of the original company up to Feb of 1986 were turned over to the BATF. NEF is no longer used on firearms - since c. 2000 all the single barrel long guns will be marked as H&R 1871 LLC or some variation of same.
    A single barrel H&R made in 1951 would be some variation of the Model 48 Topper, have a snap off-on handguard for dis- and assembly and a "beaver tail" lever behind the hammer to break the action. As far as I know, H&R never made a PRODUCTION model with a lever on the left side of the receiver used to cock the hammer???????
    The butt plate at that time would be of black hard rubber and look like the pic. attached. It could have been installed to any similarly stocked shotgun.
    The left side "cocking" lever is a "problem" in IDing this piece - we need to see some pics of the gun, especially the left side receiver and one of the top of the barrel showing stampings, hammer and action break lever.
    IMG_2338_2.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg
  10. jrswaney01

jrswaney01 New Member

11. jrswaney01

jrswaney01 New Member

[​IMG]

I hope this helps
  12. jrswaney01

jrswaney01 New Member

13. jrswaney01

jrswaney01 New Member