unknown 16g bolt shotgun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by soundguy, Aug 11, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

good thinkin !
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

here they is.. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1st character looks like a capital A with no cross piece

2nd character looks like a deformed capital L witht he bottom piece angled up

3rd character to me looks like a lowercase a with a dot over it.

4th character looks like a lowercase h with perhaps a dot over the top right of it.. though that may be a metal imperfection.

just relating a visual description.. i realize it is probably a different characterset.. etc.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

confusing eh ..
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A perfectly ordinary Model 1871 Mauser converted to a 16 gauge shotgun in Belgium and sold at one time by Albrecht Kind GmbH, otherwise known by the trademark Akah.

Jim
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

100% cheers
  6. soundguy

thanks for the info.. never heard of him.. got any links or a time frame that these conversions were done?

as said.. i've hear dof 98 conversions..e tc..

thanks again

( google does show links for soma akah trademark stuff and a modern website.. however.. this doesn't look to be a modern conversion.. has akah been doing this sort of thing for?? years? )
  7. racefanTX

racefanTX New Member

Superb info is available in these kind of boards. Many thanks guys.
  8. soundguy

still looking for info... any idea as to when this type of conversion might have been done? early 1900's after wwi?

can i assume akah was the importer.. and not the converter?

thanks
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Albrecht Kind Gmbh (AKAH) has been in business since 1853 and is very much in business today. You can check their web site at www.akah.de for current products.*

AKAH is the largest gun, hunting, and outdoor goods wholesale/retail business in Germany. They are not manufacturers, though they have goods specially made and marked for them. So, that conversion could have been done any time from the point where the Model 1871 was taken out of service (1884 - 1888) and the end of WWII, but it is likely that the range was from c. 1890 to post-WWI. The conversion itself was apparently done in Liege, based on a Liege proof on the gun. The AKAH marking could mean the work was done for AKAH or only that they retailed the gun at some point.

Not the first time that an AKAH (or Akah) marking resulted in confusion. Holsters sold by AKAH often turn up with GI bringback pistols, and one collector reported frustration at not being able to find a Nazi organization by that name! (AKAH doesn't seem to show up in the German ordnance manufacturers' code list, not surprising since they didn't manufacture anything. Their holsters were private purchases.)

*If you use the English translator, be aware that the word "Kind" in German means "child", so the name is translated that way!

Jim
  10. soundguy

interesting info, thanks. yep.. I had seen their site.. didn't realize they had been around that long.

so, in short.. if could have been a custom conversion they ordered.. but more likely was an earlier conversion and they were the retailer.. etc..

for future reference and my notes, which proof on her denoted Liege.

thanks
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012