The Firearms Forum banner

Unknown Belgian? solid frame

944 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dave Liddell 
#1 ·
I have inherited a single action 6 shot revolver in 38 S&W? It has a 4` inch octagonal bbl, checkered wood grips and lanyard ring. No manufacturer information. It does have German proofs crown over crown over letter "U". On the cylinder, barrel and frame "341" is stamped. On the interior of the cylinder "38" is stamped. "556" is stamped on the grip frame under the left grip. I have suspicions that it might be a Belgian copy of a Smith & Wesson revolver. Any information on this gun - age, manufacturer, country of origin, history - would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Smith & Wesson never made that type, it's a more-or-less copy of the British Webley RIC model.

The German proof law dates from 1891, so likely made between then and WW-1.

Are you sure it's a .38? With German proofs I doubt the 38 on cylinder indicates caliber.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I took calipers to the bbl this aa and came up with 0.355 - 0.360 inches at the muzzle. A 38/9mm bullet fits the barrel. I tried putting a 9mm parabellum cartridge in the chamber and it would not fit. A 38 special cartridge seemed to fit perfectly (inserted all the way and I could close the loading port cover and rotate the cylinder. I thought that a 38 special cartridge was too long for a 38 S&W?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.