unknown gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kaptin2, May 4, 2012.

1. kaptin2

kaptin2 New Member

i have a single shot hammer l c smith shotgun cant find serial numbers or any info i think its a 12 gauge just says hunter on top of barrel
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome Kaptin2 !

i've friends in a group called The L.C. Smith Collectors Association

i'm not a expert on them but theres a lot of info on these available through there group

http://www.lcsmith.org/

i did hear that they started charging for the info to cover their costs which obozo has made go up 300% in the last 2 years ( cost of public record searches )

but the web site is free ..
  3. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

I'm a life member and past director of the L.C. Smith Collectors Association; and have conducted much research on the company and guns produced. LC Smith never produced a single shot hammer shotgun; but they did manufacture double barrel hammer guns and hammerless single barrel trap guns. Perhaps a photo would be a great assist in the ID of your gun?

Jack 404: As to your comment "i did hear that they started charging for the info to cover their costs which obozo has made go up 300% in the last 2 years ( cost of public record searches )'; you have certainly stumped me there friend????????????????
    In the first place, the LCSCA has not, and never will perform public records searches. We do have a copy of what remains of the original L.C. Smith gun shipping records; and for a small fee, anyone who owns an L.C. Smith gun can contact Jim Stubbendieck of the LCSCA; and Jim will perform a records search and provide the requester a letter from the Association containing all pertinent details the maker recorded about the gun in question (gauge, original barrel length, options, ship date, etc).
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, it definitely is not an L.C. Smith, just a similar name designed to resemble L.C. Smith, such as "I.C. Smith."
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  5. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Take a quick look at the bottom of the barrel for any foreign proof marks like the letters "ELG" in an oval for Belgium or crossed scepters or halberds for England. As said my reference shows no hammer single made by either L.C. Smith or the Hunter Arms Company who took over LC. Smith production from1890 to 1946. .Hunter Arms Company did make a hammerless single called the SINGLE BARREL TRAP GUN from 1917 to 1950