Unknown Maker

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by alwysoutdrs, Jun 15, 2011.

1. alwysoutdrs

alwysoutdrs New Member

Appreciate everyone here willing to share knowledge.

I have a dbl barrel muzzleloading shotgun. I was told English Fowler but is obviously a Belgian gun from proof marks. I beleive this gun comes from that 1853 thru 1871 era where controller markings were lost. There are three marks that are controller marks. My questions are about the "A F with crown over" and the name and address on rib which reads "Jord & Storms 53 Norwich St". Every piece of metal is engraved including screw heads. Barrels look to be Damascus twist.

Thank you in advance for your help. This was my dads gun(RIP) that we have shot together in competition and would love to have right info on this beauty. Pics to come when I can get clear ones to come out.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun is Belgian and of very high quality. It was made by Auguste Francotte (AF), a top maker of the time. See http://littlegun.be/arme belge/artisans identifies francotte/a francotte gb.htm for more information.

The rib marking may be English or American, and is the retailer who first sold the gun. I can't find anything on that name/company, though.

While I have no doubt that those Damascus barrels were the best made at the time, I strongly recommend not firing any Damascus barrel shotgun with any ammunition, even black powder. I know others will disagree, but if the barrels have weakened over they years they might blow and it would be a shame to destroy a beautiful old gun.

Jim
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011