unknown parts

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by jonesn, Aug 31, 2009.

1. jonesn

jonesn New Member

I was given a series 80 colt by my grandfather. He aquired it years ago from someone, and it has some aftermarket parts on it. He has no specifics as to what was done. Most are obvious. The gun finish is blue, but the hammer, slide release, trigger, and safety all appear stainless. My question is really on the trigger. How can I identify what trigger it is? It is skeletonized, if that is the right term. 3 holes through it. I know nothing of trigger upgrades. The slide release is Pachmayr. Don't know on the hammer, safety lever, or grip safety.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The 3 hole trigger is a popular ltem on a 1911. Maker could be about any company: King's,Wilson,CMC, etc. If it works well, don't worry. Just shoot and enjoy.
  3. jonesn

jonesn New Member

He has had it for years, but the only use it had was as his CCL qualifier. All mods to it would be 20 yrs old possibly. Wanting to go through it and see what still needs to be uprgraded on the reliability side, and if any of the mods may need to be undone. For other strictly Colt fans, he is passing on to me a Colt Python 6" barrel next weekend also. Now I am in .40S&W with my HK, .45 with my 1911, and .357 mag coming soon.
  4. jonesn

jonesn New Member

By the way........he used the Colt for CCL qualifying as recently as 1 or 2 yrs ago (whenever his last renewal was) and still packing heat at the tender age of 84 yrs old. Either got the Glock sub comp .40 in his overalls, or the Taurus revolver chambered for .410 or .45 in his boot while riding his Harley.
  5. Shooter45

Good for him. :D

I'd shoot the Colt and if he used it for his CCL, the reliability is still there. An accuracy job lasts a long time unless done on a stainless steel 1911 so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just shoot and enjoy.
  6. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

What shooter said. Just because it is old, Doesn't mean it isn't reliable. I bet that gun as it sits shoots as good as the day it was bought. Forget upgrades. Enjoy the gun!
  7. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Very good advice.

Ask any old school 1911 shooters how many times they've seen guys with their bonuses or tax returns just upgrade good iron until it was like giving Dolly Parton breast implants.

The list of improvements needed to make more out of a standard 1911 is really pretty short and definitely nothing magical. All the rest of that stuff is made to make somebody's quarterly profits more. That may sound harsh, but you can be a very resentful shooter if you buy everything out there.

The best thing to buy for most 1911's is several new mags and a trunk full of ammunition.:D
  8. Shooter45

That's good advice Delta but you left out an important part. Keep the recoil springs changed. I have seen many 1911's traded away because of reliability problems mostly due to worn out recoil springs and bad mags. :)
  9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    And second, new springs and a needle file to clean up all the burrs from the slide rails.
  10. jonesn

jonesn New Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it. The logic holds up. My worries were more that the guy added the unnecessary possibly negative upgrades. I'm looking for reliability not a showpiece.So as you say, it shoots so don't worry. Sentimental value also makes me want to make sure it is tip top for years to come. This is a great forum. I will try and get some pics of it to post. Got to get to Winchesters and hit their range with it a lot.
  11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

True that. I left out a big one. Good catch. :)

I haven't been disappointed yet changing around 4,000 rounds. I hear some people say 5,000, and I've done that...some say 3,000...some claim 1,000...which seems like changing oil in the car every week. And I think 16 lbs is good enough not to mess with for just about anything except maybe a bowling pin piece. Please correct if I'm off.

Thanks for the reminder. I've good some slides to check.:D