Unknown revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 3:26:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Unknown revolver
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The other day I picked up a cute little antique revolver, sort of a bulldog design. It has a 2" barrel, and on the left side of the frame it is marked "cal 7.65". There is a loading gate on the right side, and a lever on the left side of the frame that I can't really figure a purpose for (it doesn't seem to be a safety, the pistol operates the same with it up or down). There is a cylinder pin you can pull forward and swing sideways to remove the cylinder. There is no maker name or logo anywhere on it. There is a crown over "N" proof on the right side of the frame, and on the cylinder. It is also marked with a "6" or "9" (depending on how you look at it!) on the frame and cylinder. The handle has checkered wood grips, and when I took the grips off, there was the same number again stamped in the metal of the grip, and it is written with pencil on the backsides of both grip panels. Otherwise, there is no serial number on the gun.

I am told these little revolvers were made in mass quantity in the late 1800s in Belgium and Spain, and when imported into Germany marked with the German proof. Anybody got any ideas?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 6:07:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Unknown revolver
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There were sh*tloads of cheap American, Belgian, and other, "suicide specials" that flooded the markets in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They were usually made in .22, .32, and .38 (S&W).

From the caliber, this sounds like one made for the European market.

Hang it on the wall and tell your friends it's the VERY pistol that assassinated the Archduke Ferdinand in Sarajavo in 1914! (Hey.....who can prove it wasn't?)

SW Man
    (3/7/02 7:39:59 pm)
    Only reference to a crown over an 'N' is ean East German Nitro Proof Mark from Suhl. Maybe it was imported to there and proofed.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 11:24:08 pm)
    Does it kinda look like a Nagant type revolver?

And while I like X's idea, that is WAY too risky, some smartass will show up with a PICTURE of the pistol he took in some museum in Transylvania or something...

Make up something like it was the BACKUP gun of the guy who threw the BOMB at Archduke Ferdinand's car that MISSED prior to the successful assasination on the same day.....

YEAH, they'd buy THAT...
    "It's only money..."

Edited by: polishshooter at: 3/7/02 11:29:18 pm

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/8/02 10:00:00 am)
    Hey Polish.....I've got a "Walter P-39" (that's what it says), engraved "To Adolph....Happy Birthday....Love, Eva". The Gypsy I bought it from says it's authentic.

What'dya think it's worth? Is it C & R?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/8/02 10:27:33 am)
    I'll trade you my "Ferdinand" special for it!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/8/02 4:42:42 pm)
    No way, Bob! Mine's a gen-u-wine WW II historic artifact, made of fine Krupp steel.....whereas yours is a suicide special, probably made of Spanish potmetal! (Sorry, the devil made me do that)

zanjero
    (3/10/02 1:57:55 pm)
    sure sounds like a Nagant to me. ive got the 7.62 Nagant made in 1921 , double action stiff trigger on double action, not so stiff on single action, these from what i understand were made for several countries. different calibers etc. a picture would be good to see. does the cylinder slide forward when you pull the hammer back?
    The Opera ain't over, till the Fat Barrel sings! :)

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 2:30:31 pm)
    It is definately not a Nagant - I am familiar with those. This is a much smaller, 2" barrel pistol, 7.65mm (32 S&W), Suhl Germany Crown over N proof mark.

walter in florida
    (3/12/02 3:45:24 pm)
    Bob you helped ID a Spanish 32-20 revolver, I hope I can help you. I found a blue print of my 7.65 ruby LaBasque in Historical atlas 0f the crews. The orginal designer was making blueprint drawings of all hand guns up till l982. He was a Russian working for the KGB. By the way there were about 100 drawings of Spanish revolvers and simi-auto in there. I hope this will help. It in Italian but still good.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/12/02 3:58:00 pm)
    Well, I am pretty good in Spanish, know a smattering of French, can curse like a sailor in Czech, so I guess I can pick up some Italian!

Sounds like an interesting reference, where did you find it?

walter in florida
    (3/12/02 6:33:31 pm)
    Bob, You are not going to like what I got to say. I havent been on it for abuot 3 months. and It not there. So I went to Goggles and looked up : Atlante storico delle armi. (HOME PAGE) no results. So last resort I hit :Translate this page. There I got the complete list but no blue prints. I think that Russian may have pulled them because he got a book on it and wants to make some money, D#$% ex commie.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/12/02 6:41:24 pm)
    Mama Mia, Camerade! !Hasta la vista!

A Russian, designing SPANISH pot metal, with the blueprints in ITALIAN?

Gosh, I'd like to hear THAT story...

Now assuming he was a Republican that stayed in Spain and hid in the Basque region after the Fascists won, I could see that....

But why in ITALIAN?????
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY He's calling you an @sshole." ---- From "A Season on the Brink"

walter in florida
    (3/12/02 8:29:32 pm)
    Polishshooter, I wished I never started this, but it is true. I guess the Russians wanted to know about every hand gun they would have confront. Those drawings were so detailed, so they must have had a real good,good C & R collection. I would like to get in that vault.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/12/02 8:55:30 pm)
    Ah well, they comes and they goes. It may reappear again somewhere or sometime in the future.

walter in florida
    (3/13/02 12:12:12 am)
    Bob I just check the translated link and the drawings are back. I was wrong when I said there were about 100 spanish hand guns. Actual 31 revolvers and 356 Simi-autos. There only 2500 drawings to go through. Good lock and hope you find it. Walter

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/02 8:34:59 am)
    Very interesting site to go browsing around.

Thanks.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/13/02 10:19:47 am)
    What was the site again? Hey Walter, what are you apologizing for, this is GREAT!

And think about it, if you HAD to be a KGB operative, wouldn't THAT have been a neat job to have?

And yeah, WHERE'S the VAULT??? Where is Geraldo when we need him?

Beats the heck out of trying to bug and surveil restrooms...
    Hi. My name is Mike. And I am a Nagantaholic. "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/02 10:56:11 am)
    Polish ~ try the following.

translate.google.com/tran...n%26sa%3DG

Frank
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum