Unknown Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Get Bent, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Get Bent

Get Bent New Member

This is a 5 shot, .32 cal revolver.

1st Pic: On the octagon barrel where it meets the frame, there is four characters one right below the other. A stamp of a "picture of a crown", "R", "*" and an "E". There are two more characters below these on the frame. A "*" and an "E".

2nd Pic: On the frame where it meets the barrel, "D.D" and below this "B" and "TE".

If I could get the barrel out, I would take some pics of the stamps on the cylinder.

Jeff R

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Get Bent

Get Bent New Member

Anybody, a guess maybe?

Jeff R
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've been looking around and found some that look almost like yours but there were little differences. I found a pic of one that was at an auction that I will try to post that went for $100 and another one that is close but no cigar.

Attached Files:

4. TheGunClinger

The first pic was the one at auction and sold for $100. It was listed as Unknown folding trigger .32. It has a front sight and yours doesnt. Also the cylinder fluting is different but still be from the same maker.
    I'll keep looking.
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Belgian Velo Dog, do a search here on the forums.
  6. TheGunClinger

I saw a bunch of those while I was looking around but the ones I saw didnt look like the one getbent posted. I will do a search on the Velo Dog and see what comes up.
  7. TheGunClinger

This one looks pretty close. There seems to be many variations of the Velo Dog revolver. (Thanks Trap55) They were made in Belgium, France and who knows where. Velo Dog means Velo, Velocipede (bicycle) Dog (Dog duh) When you were riding your bike and some dog wanted to eat you, you pulled out your Velo Dog and shot him in the butt or wherever. They dont seem to be real valuable as the prices I saw were like from $100- $300. Now that Trap pointed us in the right direction you can google it yourself. BTW, yours looks to be in better cond. than the one in the pic.

Attached Files:

8. Get Bent

Get Bent New Member

Does anyone know how to get the cylinder out to inspect. I have pulled the rod below the barrel like in the last pic, but I still can't get the cylinder out.

I appreciate all the info from everyone.

Thanks,

Jeff R
  9. popgun

popgun New Member

Known as a pocket bulldog or puppy made by E.& L. Nagant of Liege Belgium or J.B. Ronge Fils, Liege Belgium
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

You have to also remove the hollow cylinder spindle the rod goes in: See the flange on left side.
  11. Get Bent

Get Bent New Member

The front sight used to be there, but is missing. There is a crown stamp in numerous places on this gun. Might this give a hint as to who the manufacturer would be?

Jeff R
  12. popgun

popgun New Member

the crown is a Belgium royal proof mark.
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The guns in pictures #1 and #7 appear to be true Velo Dog revolvers; the ones in #3 are small revolvers of the same type, but the cylinders are not long enough for the long Velo Dog cartridge.

Jim
  14. popgun

popgun New Member

Photo #1 is not a Velo Dog as it's in 32 cal, and Velo Dogs are 5.5 mm or 6 mm cal

15. Get Bent

Get Bent New Member

Did ya'll mean POSTS #1 and #7?

JR