Unknown rifle ID help?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dyeager535, Jan 26, 2007.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 New Member

[​IMG]

Appears to be a .22, but quite an odd action. If I've guessed at it's operating correctly, you put round in the "chamber" manually, OVER the tabbed lever that hinges right there. After firing, you use the little lever to eject the casing.

Anyone got any info on this thing?

Only info I have on it is the little stamping barely perceptible in this picture. (but on the close up it's better) The stamping is slightly oval, "E" on top, "L" on left, "G" on right, and perhaps a small "R" at the bottom. Hard to tell on the "R" though. Below that stamp appears to be a "Z" with a star over the top of it. Also guessing on the star, it's pretty tough to tell for sure even in person.

Thanks!
  2. Goody

Goody Member

Some sort of "Flobert" made in Belgiam. The action works as you deduced. Without knowing more about the particular gun you have I would say that generically they are worth $75 to $250.
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 New Member

Cool! Something I've actually heard of. :)

Not in great condition, appears the hammer spring is broken. It was my Grandpa's, so not planning on getting rid of it.

Should be safe to shoot though I assume? (not planning on that either, but if...)
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

You could probably have a gunsmith find a spring for the hammer in his "Miscellaneous Springs" box.....or cut one to fit. Also have him verify that your rifle is 22 caliber.

Be aware though, that the rifle was probably made for blackpowder .22s, so I wouldn't use anything larger than .22 Shorts thru it.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Even better, use .22 BB caps or CB caps.
  6. Goody

Goody Member

If it is a 22 then checkto see if it will chamber the Aquila Colibri's. No powder, just primer and a 20gr bullet. About 450-500 fps. If they won't chamber then CCI makes their CB caps that would be perfect.

I picked up an old top break rifle, no forearm, think it is a Stevens. They were made in everything from 22 up to 44 in different sizes. So anyway I pick this thing up for $100, just because, and try it out with some 22lr's. First shot is short at the 125 yard target, move into 40 yard to find the sights. About 1 out of 3 the case is splitting. Do a little more checking and find it is a 25rf. Oh well hits the targets at 40!