Unknown trade sign

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by mike williams, Feb 9, 2011.

1. PeteM

PeteM New Member

At one time or another, Boss, Grant, Churchill and a few others had facilities on St James in London. There is no record of a Pawlstock in the gun trade.

I think they were faking more than signs 100 years old and still are today.

This handbill is not a fake.

[​IMG]
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

PeteM -
    OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing!!!
  3. mike williams

mike williams New Member

Thanks for the info Pete. I suppose one has to be careful. I can stand dropping a hundred bucks on a bogus sign and have in fact already been offered a good profit on it from a guy who wants it for his English Pub here in Sweden, but still, I do feel a bit of a fool for thinking it could be real to begin with. I guess it must really sting to lose a lot of money on a fake, but that hasn't happened to me yet, as I don't risk much when I am not sure, and I'm not in the market for the Brooklyn Bridge right now either in case you guys are getting ideas!
    Cheers,
    Mike.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Mike,
    Package deal: Central Park AND the Verazzano Narrows Bridge - cheap! I already own the Brooklyn Bridge and it's not for sale.
  5. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Jim,

You can thank David Trevallion for that. Part of his personal collection. For those who don't know him:

David Trevallion was born in London in 1938, three hundred yards from James Purdey and Sons. He fired a gun for the first time at the age of nine, on a farm in Gloucestershire.

At fifteen, he was apprenticed at the Purdey factory, where he worked under veteran stockmaker William O’Brien. Six years later, having completed his apprenticeship, David became a full-fledged stockmaker at Purdey’s.

In June 1963 he submitted his master piece to the Court of Assistants of the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers and was admitted to the Freedom of the Company.

David remained at Purdey’s until 1964, when he emigrated to the United States. He soon founded Trevallion Gunstocks in Eau Gallie, Florida, subsequently moving the business to Chicago, Indianapolis, and Cape Neddick, Maine, where it has been located since 1986.

Mr. Trevallion is the only person to bear the distinction of being “Admitted to the Freedom of the Company” and a member of the ACGG (American Custom Gunmakers Guild).

David is currently at Gun Vault on Fox Hill. I have had the pleasure of speaking with him on several occasions. http://www.gun-vault.com/
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Pete,
    Thanks again for that information. Sounds as though Mr. Trevallion is rather distringuished!
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Interesting how the proof of guns is always touted as a matter of public safety, rather than the protection of a monopoly that it really was. The London Gunmakers Company originally bribed the king to charter them and give them proof authority to keep out not only Belgian imports but also guns from the rest of Britain. When proof testing was expanded to include guns made by non-members of the London company, those guns had a remarkably high rate of failure in testing.

Jim
  8. mike williams

mike williams New Member

Nice try Jim, but I'm not falling for that one again!