Unsafe 9 mm Amo...

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by greggs, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have no intentions of buying any of it. I do agree with a whole lot of the comments that says it is clearly marked NATO and may be unsafe in some guns. It is not unsafe for my Beretta 92F.

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just because it's +P does not make it "unsafe".

It could be unsafe in your gun, but just to label it "unsafe", to me, means it is dangerous in ANY gun.

And his comment about excessive wear? Hell, if you're worried about that, make sure all you ever shoot in your guns are gallery loads.

3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

while it would not be MY range ammo of choice. it sounds like more or less +p ball.

Seems like anything made for 9mm after +p was introduced should be safe... wouldn't be cycling it thru my red nine or luger though...

greyhill and gdmoody like this.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70s, when I was just starting to get interested in guns, all the gun magazines agreed that the reason Lugers were not reliable was because US ammo, made to SAAMI spec, was much weaker than the European ammo it was designed to work with. Kinda like US 8mm Mauser is much weaker than European 7,9x57 JS.

This make it sound like, to me, that US +P, and NATO, is "full-strength" stuff, as it was intended back in 1906.

5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i think the reason us 8mm mauser is watered down is due to guns not originally chambered for it being rechambered and the thought was it might be dangerous pressure wise.

but that's a GUESS on my part.

and the entire .318 / .323 thing for some , many people don't seem to understand the 8x57i x is x ir ( or j.. etc.. )

6. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Back in the '80's, IMI made two kinds of 9mm ammo. The blue tip was for the Uzi carbine only. Shooting that through a pistol was not a good idea, due to being loaded hot. This NATO stuff sounds like that.

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. The NATO forces carry pistols. The pistols are chambered in 9mm. 9mm NATO is made for the pistols.

Why would it be loaded "too hot" for pistols, if it is the issue pistol ammo?

8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

9 mil nato is hotter than the run of the mill 9 mil ammo. I may be wrong but I don't think it as hot as +p. I have shot it in my Beretta 92 and didn't notice any difference from most other 9 mil.

9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I have shot 9MM NATO in every 9MM gun I own with no ill results. I will buy every box I can find.

SkeeterDope likes this.
  10. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just checked the owners manual for my Ruger KP95 and it clearly states NATO ammunition is perfectly acceptable. I'd snag some if I found it.

dbcooper likes this.
  11. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have shot lots of it in both my 92M and 92FS. No issues at all. By the way if any of you ever see magazines for a 92M let me know. Single stack 8 round. Beretta only made them for a few years back in the 80's.

12. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Per my Ruger SR9 manual:
    The SR-series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cases. No 9mm Parabellum ammunition manufactured IAW NATO, US, SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols.

dbcooper and soundguy like this.
  13. zant

zant Well-Known Member

I believe it would be unsafe in a zinc blowback but in a quality 9mm,no problem.Only 9mm I've run into not to fire in a pistol was some Hertenberg made for subguns that we chronoed at 1450fps.

14. rodder

rodder New Member

when in doubt check it out! being new to handguns i wondered what NATO meant when i seen it at cabelas, a quick search enlightened me!! today there is sooo much info on line about anything we rarely have a valid excuse about anything!!