Unsafe 9mm #2

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by TOOHSOTKIL, May 3, 2016.

1. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Member

FWIW

For those who don`t remember or did not see the alert way back. In the early 2000`s there was a batch of 9mm that would give the average pistol a work out.
    I`m sure some of that ammo is still out there.

Sold in bulk ammo spam cans. I think it was 1K cans sealed. A few of the founding members may remember this.

I think this stuff came from somewhere in Africa.......cannot remember which country (old brain)

This was a very high pressure round hot loaded for "Subguns Only" and it did lay waste to many a users pistol........and some of it found its way to
    Glock users and started the KABOOM complaints.

So if you come across some of this bulk ammo spam cans be safe, there was tons of this stuff sold because it was cheap back then..

I think it was around 60-70$ per 1K can......................ah the good ole days

2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I don't recall those cheap 'spam cans' of 9mm ammo, but it must be something like back in the 60s when tons of surplus ammo was brought into the U.S. from Europe. I remember hearing something about a warning that a lot of the German 9mm was too hot for semi auto pistols because it was intended for use in sub-machineguns.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seeing how a sub-machinegun is chambered in a pistol caliber to share common ammunition. But I do recall those stories of 'hot' 9mm ammunition. The cheapest ammo days I remember is during the latter part of the Clinton days (just before Clinton and Janet Reno got it banned from import). I still have a sealed case of East German 7.62X39 with 1440 rounds that I bought for $75 delivered. Certain knuckle-headed Arms companies here sucked up to the Liberals and put out some 'pistols' in that caliber and gave the Liberals their excuse to ban 'cop killer ammo' from import. The pistols never gained much popularity here - not even with the Gang Bangers who were supposed to line up to buy/steal them.

Just by-the-way, I heard recently that certain 9mm ammo loaded to NATO specs is supposed to be really 'hot' and safe only in pistols rated at +P. I never buy store-bought center fire ammo anymore so I didn't pay much attention to it.

carver likes this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't remember the 9mm either. I do remember the surplus 7.62X25 ammo that was in spam cans and supposedly "too powerful" to shoot in some of the imported pistols.

carver likes this.
  4. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Back in the '80s, IMI produced blue tip 9mm for use in the Uzi carbines. It was loaded hotter to function reliably. It was not to be loaded in pistols due to much higher pressures.

carver likes this.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have a vague memory of both Israeli "black tipped" and Hertenberger 9mm being sold as "SMG ammo", and being too hot for pistols.

I agree that WW2 9mm being "sub gun only, too hot for pistols" is dumb. But I also recall reading that US 9mm was loaded lighter than European. In the 70s, gun magazines explained that that was why Lugers had such a "jamamatic" rep. US ammo was not powerful enough to work the action. Get some European ball and they worked fine.

Wonder if that had anything to do with the Glisenti? Fired a round that was identical to the Luger, but about 2/3 the pressure. Shoot a normal, hot, Luger in it and you could blow your gun up.

The obvious solution, since Glisentis were sold here, is to weaken the Luger round, because Americans are too stupid to get the right ammunition.

jim brady and carver like this.
  6. Boozecoon

Boozecoon New Member

I remember that some of Winchesters "Wildcat" ammo was loaded pretty hot as well. Some were even reported to have double loads.

7. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

I read another twist on the "do not use in handguns, for machine pistol only" story. This got it's beginnings during WWII when brass was in short supply. German 9mm ammunition was being produced with both steel cases for machine pistols use and brass cases for handgun use only. The Germans still had P08 Lugers in the field along with the P38 Walthers. The Walthers had/have a straight shamber, the Lugers have a stepped chamber and would not function properly with the steel cased ammo. In addition to the functioning issues, the steel cased ammo could damage the Luger pistol.

ral357 likes this.
  8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

ok, I love your screen name dude

rawright54 likes this.
  9. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Well-Known Member

Do you remember the the military went to the Beretta 9mms They had serious problems with the slides blowing past the stops and injuring shooters.
    They blamed it on ammo made for sub guns and apparently change what they were shooting and I guess the problems went away.
    That was Berettas story at the time and I have never seen follow-up since the "too hot" ammo excuse was presented.

I think I still have some of the printed stories in my "remember where I put it stash". I just can't remember where I put it.

I owned the indoor range when this happened and was very interested in the problem at the time.

UF

10. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

When my son was in the Marines, he worked in the battalion armory. He told me that he saw a lot of M9's with cracked slides come through. They might have had some sub gun ammo shot out of them. Told me he wouldn't buy one. No telling how many rounds were fired in them though.