unsupported chambers and steel cased ammo vs brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

the pistols with semi unsupported chambers.. do they fair any better with steel cases vs brass cases?

comments?
  2. dbach

dbach Member

Mine fairs fine with an unsupported chamber.

I have a Glock 23 in .40 S&W, it shoots fine and I reload the brass without any trouble ..... at all. People that say it van't be done are people that have never tried.

I've done it many, many times. It's no different than loading anything else, except for the bulge removal step.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The short, quick, and not thoroughly researched answer is that: all in all, brass is a better choice than steel for small arms cartridge cases. It is much more expensive; but such is its only real drawback.

In items like small arms cartridge cases the strengths of steel and brass overlap. One would think that steel would be significantly stronger; but my quick research shows overlap. Brass will start to stretch at lower pressure but ultimately fails at a higher pressure than draw quality steel.

Brass does not rust. Steel cases have to be plated or lacquered. Lacquer accumulation in chambers can be a problem and often is.

The US Military has experimented with steel small arms cartridge cases and used them (zinc plated) for .45 ACP loaded in 1943 when copper was in very short supply. {The Penny was zinc plated steel in 1943, also.} The steel case 45's were hard on 1911 extractors and ejectors.

The Germans used many steel cases (usually lacquered) for several cartridges in WW II. Steel is about all the Russians used after WW II. They usually made their extractors and ejectors out of very tough and expensive steel.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

russian rifles, at least the semi auto ones from the 'K' line ( sks, aks, ak.. etc.. ) seemd to not have very picky ammo requirements anyway.. :)