Unusual Single shot pistol B U Crown proofs

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mgallery, Dec 15, 2009.

1. mgallery

mgallery New Member

Hi. I have had this pistol for awhile and have never been able to find anything about it.It is a single shot probably target pistol 16 inches long small bore probably 22 cal.It has a B U with crown proof marks on right side. On the left it says D R pat 73855. Barrel has 0,2 gr NGP m/71 and 1,8 grp? marked on it on side. On underside it has B G U with crowns and 8731. Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

German Cased Target pistol 22 cal Bore VG plus, Mech Exc with has a set trigger, Original bone grips VG plus with a monogram inlay in left side. Has an 11” part Rd part oct barrel with original sights and has several markings Serial#8301 a crown with B under , a crown with G under, a crown with U under. 0.2 gr NGP M/71 1.8 gr b1 DR patent 73855 Metal overall has a light grey finish with no pitting. Has the original coffin case lined with velvet. No key. Quailty item. $1195

http://fulmersantiqueguns.com/Images/germ22.gif

Click the pics to enlarge
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The markings are German proofs. Crown of U means inspected. Crown over G means rifled. Crown over B means Mauser powder M-71.

I suspect the numbers on the side are the load. If you figure that to be Grams, and not Grains, 0.2 grams of M-71 powder comes out to 3.1 grains, while a 1.8 gram bullet comes out to 28 grains, which is the same weight as a 22 short bullet.
  4. Sílvio César Mello

Sílvio César Mello New Member

Hello, friends. I was looking for informations about the single-shot that I have, and I found the same symbol in your gun (a crowm with "B"), I know only that mine came to Brazil from Germany around 1910/20. The specifications are similars (0,2 gr NGP m/71 1,8gr BI), but I don't have informations about the manufacturer. Can someone help me? Detail: there´s a deer in the cable. My email is mellosilv@terra.com.br.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That type of gun was usually made under a guild system, where several shops made parts and another assembled the gun. There was no requirement that the maker's name be put on the gun, only that it be proved (tested with an overcharge of powder).

Unfortunately, with one or maybe two world wars intervening, any records there may have been are probably long gone, so I doubt you will ever find the name of the maker(s) or the city where the gun was built.

A couple of more meanings: DRP means Deutsches Reichs Patent (German empire patent); NGP means Nitrozellulose Gewehr Pulver (nitrocellulose rifle powder).

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009