Update on Kahr crap customer service

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by larrydickman, Jun 15, 2012.

1. larrydickman

larrydickman Member

I had the problem with a broken recoil spring on a CW9 that was 2 months old that Kahr would not take care of. I finally filed a complaint with the better business bureau a month ago. I just got an email from the BBB that Kahr refused to respond to their request.:eek: I highly recommend that Kahr is not a stand up company and for those who are looking to buy you may want to go with a different company that takes care of problems. For me if a company blows off the BBB they are not a good company.
  2. ozo

ozo Active Member

Sad, sad, sad....
    What is going on with these gun manufacturers.....
    Add Kahr to the growing list.
    [is it a ploy from 'big brother'.......sure, sell them the guns,
    all they want, but make them inferior.....]
    Just a thought.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

It is good to see a fresh thread being started about Kahr Arm's poor customer service. I know not what their actual problem(s) is (are) that they do not support their products as one would expect a responsible, quality arms manufacturer to do.

Defective is defective. A responsible manufacturer fixes its defective products without regard to time, and does charge its customers for repairing something that should have never gotten past QC and out the factory door.

There is, of course, a difference between something that fails because it was defective, relative to specifications, when made, and something that has just worn out from normal or heavy use or abusive use. Most manufacturers stand responsible for their design, manufacturing, or QC mistakes. Some firearm manufacturers, even repair, for free, problems that are the result of heavy use or outright abuse. They usually correctly find that doing so pays off in the long run relative to word of mouth advertising.

My personal experiences, and the observed experiences of others, are, that about 4 years ago, Kahr decided that "standing behind" their defective products had become too expensive; and now they look for any excuse not to "stand behind" and correct their mistakes. This is unfortunate for all. Many persons, myself included, like the design and function of some of their products. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVE HAD ANY UNSATISFACTORILY RESOLVED PROBLEMS WITH KAHR; PLEASE POST YOU EXPERIENCES IN THIS THREAD.

Many persons visit and read TFF posts. Perhaps, if Kahr's sales drop because of their current and recent Customer Service practices; maybe they will improve their CS to be on par with "High Point", which makes inexpensive, clunky arms, but seems to stand behind them, no matter what.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  4. ozo

ozo Active Member

I understand the costs and profits the gun makers face
    when resolving problems with their goods......
    A 'new' kind of quality control seems to be the norm,
    and from my chair, it looks lacking in more ways than one.
    No doubt, they all hire lesser-qualified smith's due to the
    cost of any good gunsmith........
    But what gets me the most......it's a gun !!! If not assembled
    correctly, checked and approved before leaving the plant,
    by someone qualified to know/see it's proper and safe condition,
    it could be deadly to the new owner.
    I guess the percentages are simply in their favor.
    Welcome to the 21st century.........
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Several years ago. Bought a 1911 from Auto Ordnance. Muzzle bushing broke and I called 'em. Got a recording. AOC had been bought by Kahr. Call this number.

Called the new number. Spoke to a woman in Parts. I honestly expected, "Damn, those aren't supposed to break. Gimme your address and we'll send you another one" (that, by the way, is "customer service"). Nope. 10 dollars for the part and 7 dollars to ship it. Give 'em CC number.

Card is charged. Month goes by. NO PART.

Call them. Get recording. "We no longer take parts orders over the phone. Write us a letter."

Wrote letter. Said, "I paid for the damn thing a month ago, where's my part?"

No response.

Wrote second letter, stating that it was SECOND LETTER and part was ordered AND PAID FOR over three months ago, and where was my damn part.

No response.

Wrote letter, c/o President of the damn company. Told entire story. Said it had been close to six months now, and if they could see their way clear to SEND ME THE DAMN MERCHANDISE I PAID FOR, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Part finally showed up. No apology. No explanation. No excuse. And certainly no refund.

So I tell anyone that asks. Kahr is a crap company to do business with.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Well said , Alpo.
  7. langenc

langenc Member

Alpo-Id have called the credit card long before that. On the other hand you did need the part.
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm not impressed with Kahr as a company or the pistol I bought from them. It's OK but seems like something made to compete with a $250.00 Kel Tec at twice the price. I'm going to try to see if a gun shop will trade me a used S&W snubbie .38 for it...but I'm not holding my breath though. In my opinion the entire Kahr line is way overpriced.

People here often ask about the quality of Taurus and Rossi. I know a lot of owners who are happy with theirs and on paper their warranty looks good, but customer service leaves a lot to be desired. The other thing is, if you are relying on one of their products to defend your life and it breaks, a lifetime warranty means little. I had a rather flimsy looking transfer bar on a model 85 Taurus break, and even though I've toyed with the idea of one of their larger frame revolvers and their 1911, I've concluded that they just aren't worth the trouble.

Kahr and Taurus...two manufacturers I wont be doing business with again.
  9. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I have given some serious looks at Kahr products, no longer. If they balk at replacing a cheap spring they're not deserving of my business.

I noticed in the letter that S&W included with my M&P22, that they said wasn't defective, the individuals were referred to as "pistol technicians" not pistolsmiths or gunsmiths.
  10. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Probably because they are just hourly employees who repair by replacing parts until hopefully it works.

This isn't the first thread I've seen about Kahr and their lack of service. I'm presently on the hunt for my next pistol since I just sold one, and have spent the better part of three days combing reviews and forum threads on various pistols...the problem being that it seems that no one is making anything that is dependable any more! Even the super high dollar makers seem to have their fair share of rants across the board, what's weird is that low buck pistols like Hi Points seem to have more favorable stuff posted! I've looked at Keltec and SCCY, Taurus and Charter Arms, Rossi and Ruger until I'm blue in the face and more confused than when I started. I know that there are always lemons in any man-made tool, but then again it seems that you only hear when something goes wrong with that tool, not the 100 times over that the tool works perfectly. It's almost to the point where you really need to be a gunsmith yourself, and always carry two pistols because one may fail you when you need it most. Even the old standby revolvers are getting knocked across the board unless you buy one that was made ten years ago.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Kahr are not welcome in Oz , they are liars cheats and think aussies are stupid saying that because they are outside the USA they dont have to cover guarentees that state that its valid in Australia ..

forget em kahr sucks the dictonary should have obama's old boyfriend as a picture next to kahr to show you how bad they suck

our depertment of fair trading has a notice out on them that they are not a trustworthy company

government stamped and all

officially

they SUCK
  12. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Let me see if I can upload a picture, here.

In 2006 Kahr had decent customer service and replaced a defective slide and included a free set of night sights to compensate the owner, who purchased the pistol used, for his trouble.

Recently, they have twice refused to correct an identical problem for me, unless they were paid around $200 USD to do so.
  13. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Well, ignorant me just managed to figure out how to post a picture, here.

Here is the TFF link to the entire thread for my post #12 picture, found above.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32746&highlight=kahr crack

I have actual knowledge of three different Kahr pistols that have experienced this exact defect; and I have not really worked in the gun business in over 20 years, now.

I hold the opinion that the only way to help Kahr improve their deplorable customer service and apparent disregard for their own defective products is (in my opinion) to "tell it like it is" about their products and services at places like TFF and other forums.

I will add that I like the design and performance of some of Kahr's products; recognize the fact that errors happen when you actually do anything; and recognize the fact that the failure to correct errors usually ends up being significant mistakes.