1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Update on Stolen Kimber Raptor II 1911

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AuburnAlum15, Oct 31, 2012.

1. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I received a call from the Chattanooga Police department saying they had recovered my pistol. I had started a thread a while back about this and received tons of support from you guys (http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=113292&highlight=stolen kimber)

Unfortunately, the robbery suspect they found the gun with had filed the serial numbers off of it. They were able to identify the gun by some numbers on internal parts and by the accessories (Holster, etc) that were stolen with the gun. The most unfortunate part about this is apparently TN state law says that any weapon with the serial numbers removed is considered a "Non-releasable" weapon and must be destroyed! If you read the original thread, you'd know this gun was 4 days old when it was stolen and is still practically brand new other than the numbers being filed off. Destroy it? Really? And the detective said he's talked to Kimber and they CAN take it back and fix the serial number issue, but the law says it cannot be released from custody, so they can't do it! He has a meeting with the ATF on Friday and is planning to go over all this with them, but it sounds like I'll still be the victim and the gun will be toast. That almost pisses me off more than it getting stolen in the first place! I thought our laws were supposed to protect the victim?

Sorry for the rant....

Here's a picture...

Attached Files:

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Man, sorry to hear that. It is almost like it is being stolen from you a second time. Hopefully the detective can talk a little sense into the ATF guy he talks with.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I don't see what the police could not send it to Kimber have them fix it and then send it back to them and then release it to you. a lot of paperwork and run around, but at least you'd have your gun back.
    Did they give you any details about the recovery?
  4. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

"Did they give you any details about the recovery?"

Oh yeah. The detective was very happy to tell me all about how they took down the robbery suspect. Apparently they had staked out a local motel for hours and the guy never showed up so they went in his room and searched it. They didn't find anything there and the entire group left except te detective and another officer. He said they were just standing around talking when the suspect pulled up in a car matching the description of a getaway car in a robbery, so they surrounded to car and I quote "Took him down." They found the gun between his feet in the front floor of the car and he had my holster clipped to his side. Evidently he told the police he didn't steal it, he just bought it from another guy off the street.

I was hoping this would lead to the the thief too b/c I had a bunch of other stuff stolen from my truck along with the gun.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

This stinks. If nothing else, they should allow you to have everything but the frame and you could buy a frame from Kimber or someone else and build another gun. I wish you the best, keep us informed.
  6. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I know for a fact that the ATF allows for the restamping of serial numbers in cases like this, but it sounds like it's the state law that messes that up.

Since by federal law the part with the serial number is the "firearm" and the rest is just "parts", I would do like Double D says and see if nothing else they will let you strip all the parts and let them destroy the frame since that is the "firearm".
  7. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

Yeah, I definately plan to ask if I can strip the gun if it indeed must be destroyed. I have a police friend who told me it is very unlikely that they will let me have the barrel either. So the idea of building another one gets a little more complicated than just buying a new frame. Plus, he said it would be foolish of me to keep the barrel in the event the guy has used it in a homicide or something and the police don't know it yet. If so, the ballistics would still match to my gun and could potentially cause problems in the future.

Either way, I definately would want everything else I could get off of it (grips, sights, mags, springs, slide, etc)

There's another part to all of this to that I discussed in the older thread. Because I am a life member with the NRA, I received a reimbursement check from the NRA for the value of the gun less a $100 deductable. So technically, the gun now belongs to the NRA. However, I still have the option to give the money back to the NRA and keep the gun IF the police department can work something out where I can get it re-serialed. But if it does have to be destroyed, I don't see why the NRA would care for me getting the parts off of it. I need to call them and find out.

Anyone on here work for the NRA and know the answer to that?
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Don't be stealin' the NRA's stuff.....
  9. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

How is it it stealing if I get their permission OR pay back the reimbursement?

I'm not a thief!
  10. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

If the NRA covered the gun for you minus the $100 wouldn't it be cheaper in time and effort to simply buy a new one. Seems like you'll spend more than $100 worth of time trying to deal with getting the stolen one back.

Just thought a little more - if the detective will at least let you have the grips from it and your holster then you're out even less than $100.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  11. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    You might get by with having an attorney make amotion before the judge in the case to have the gun sent back to Kimber. NOW with that said, you are actually spending more money than what a new one will cost you. IF you are only out $100 on it from getting insurance money or what ever, then cut your losses and run. Buy a new one with the insurance money. Even better, find a nice used one and maybe get it for waht you got in insurance (NRA money) IMHO.
  12. AuburnAlum15

AuburnAlum15 New Member

I don't disagree that it may not be worth my time to try and get this one back, but it is more principle than anything. I really would hate to see a $1500 gun get destroyed because some crack-head decided to file the serial numbers off of it. IF the NRA were to take possesion of the gun, they would raffle it off to raise money for their cause and get back some if not all the money they gave me. IF I can get it back by having Kimber re-serial it and giving the NRA their money back (not sure what Kimber would charge to do this) then at least it's not getting destroyed. IF it has to be destroyed AND THE NRA APPROVES of it, then I'll try to obtain all the parts I can to make up for the $100 I'm out for the deductable.

To me, it's just a huge injustice to me or the NRA to have the thing destroyed and I'd like to prevent that from happening. That's all..
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Im right there with ya. I would try to get it if I could.
  14. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A number of years ago, I had some guns stolen. I had insurance through both the NRA and a regular homeowner's policy and I was compensated by them for the loss. I forget which was the primary but when my pricey Colt Sauer was recovered and ready for return (a few years had elapsed), the PD stated that technically the rifle belonged to the insurance company and I would have to reach an agreement with them. I negotiated an amount to repay them and they sent a release to the PD. Fortunately, I had no serial number issue.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In one way it's still good news. Your gun is no longer in the hands of a criminal who may kill some one with it. And he will pay for his crime. I had my guns stolen in 1981. Never was reimbursed for the loss and never recovered any of them.

That is one beautiful gun. Will you be getting one just like it if you don't get the old one back?