UPDATE!! Vietnam Veteran fury over RSL's 'betrayal'

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Oct 17, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...er-rsls-betrayal/story-e6freuzi-1226169132332

VIETNAM veterans have accused the RSL of a gross betrayal over plans to cosy up to Vietnam's communist government's veterans association.

The RSL push to sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Vietnamese Veterans Association has been sanctioned by the Gillard government as it moves to cement closer ties and negotiate a free trade agreement with the totalitarian government in Hanoi.

Returned and Services League National President retired Rear-Admiral Ken Doolan has met with Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd and the MOU is being overseen by Australia's Ambassador in Hanoi Allaster Cox.

According to Admiral Doolan, "many" Vietnam veterans support the push, but email traffic between veterans and their associations shows the vast majority vehemently oppose it.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a letter written by Admiral Doolan, who served in Vietnam as a navigating officer on HMAS Perth and was operational commander of all Australian forces in the first Gulf War, to state RSL presidents last month telling them to ignore the "general email chit-chat".

[​IMG]

"We can't continue on with the hatred," he said.

The RSL is split with the WA and Tasmanian branches against the MOU being pushed by the NSW, Victorian and Queensland branches.

NSW branch president Don Rowe said only two sub-branches opposed the move and the debate was being hijacked by a vocal minority.

Victoria Cross winner Keith Payne said the RSL should butt out altogether.

Mr Payne, who won the nation's highest gallantry award in Vietnam, said many individual veterans, including himself, had been to Vietnam and made friends with their former foes, but that was a personal matter: "The RSL should not be pushing this, you can't involve people from other campaigns.

"If the Vietnam veterans want to pursue it then that is fine, but I am opposed to any form of MOU, they are for governments, not the RSL."

Two-tour Vietnam veteran, RSL life member and veterans advocate Noel McLaughlin said the Vietnamese Veterans Association was an arm of the government of Vietnam and the central committee of the communist party that continues to persecute former South Vietnamese soldiers.

Mr McLaughlin, convenor of the Concerned Veterans Action Group, wants the government taken to the International Court of Justice for war crimes and maltreatment of Vietnamese civilians.

"The bastardry is still going on and there is no democracy or free speech there," he said.

"I have been a member of the RSL for 42 years and the MOU just adds to the sense of betrayal and disenfranchisement which existed on return from Vietnam."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

a side note from me , i was involved in helping recover our fallen from VN for a while , not because i was clever , or could find em better but because i found out who to bribe and did not give a hoot , the only thing important to me was finding our lost troops , we found em , we raised money back here to buy assistance that the Vietnames would not give , and only after we got out last one out did they make it public and try to state they helped all along

they blocked every attempt we made until dollars changed hands

how much ? about $30,000 AUD back then about $40 K USD

was it worth it , YES, would i thanks them ? NO do i agree with this deal ? NO

they train with pic;s of our troops as the enemy and as targets

their media states Aussie troops are all ex criminals and that where we recruit from and they call us theives and butchers

ever seen a Vietnamese gaol ??

screw em , communism is evil

siding with evil is evil
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

Re: Vietnam Veteran fury over RSL's 'betrayal'

Liberal Bull$#!t.... we're sorry that we tried to stop your campaign of hate, murder, rape, butchering and all around evil.....
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

RSL abandons Vietnam agreement

THE RSL has abandoned plans to forge closer ties between Australian and Vietnamese veterans of the Vietnam War.
    The national RSL president, Rear Admiral Ken Doolan, announced yesterday that a proposed memorandum of understanding with his Vietnamese counterpart would not go ahead.
    The decision came only a week after Admiral Doolan promised to press on with debate on a form of rapprochement because ''we owe it to the future to do all we can to bring former enemies together''.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    The national president of the Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia, Ron Coxon, welcomed the decision and said his national executive had voted against the idea last weekend.
    ''I think the executive of the RSL didn't reach down to the grass roots and the grass roots have got back to them and said, 'you can't go on with this','' Mr Coxon said.
    The president of the Vietnamese Community in Australia, Phong Nguyen, said he felt ''great relief'' when he learned of the decision.
    ''We don't hate anybody,'' Mr Nguyen said. ''We want reconciliation. But Vietnam is still under a dictatorship and we can't shake hands with any regime that does not respect human rights.''
    Mr Nguyen said he hoped the RSL will improve communication with its members in the future ''so we don't have to work through this again''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/rsl-abandons-vietnam-agreement-20111025-1mi5h.html#ixzz1bqPdZSVR
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Does this have anything to do with the Washington State memorial wall?
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

No Bob , the new national Boss of the RSL is a leftie and wanted us all to be nice to the communists , meaning give them money , status etc , most of that would help a few party bosses and such and thats about it

It does have a bit to do with how the VN government does not assist in the recovery of war dead, we have all our guys back but you still have quite a few missing and until they allow full access to the area's and the people of the area , we dont want anything to do with them, they have reneged on every deal that way in the past , why trust em now ?

theres a few sides on this , the ARVN folks here and the persecution still by the gov there to folks on our side still in VN

your missing troops .. and access to allow folks to go look for them

this was a all benefits on their side deal , none for us , they refused to say anything firm , only vague maybe's ( again)

and now its dead and i voted to kill it and happy i did

screw the communists , until they give us full access to find the last of those missing they get nothing , not even the time of day from me ..
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and besides , it'd be a betrayal to all our allies in that war if that deal was done ...
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

we have seperate memorials here too

theres US ones

theres ARVN ones

civilian victims of communism ..

Hmong community ones and Darlec too

theres a couple joint ones

but we would not list allies in the war memorial in canberra

thats our folks

your wall in washington should be the same

yours and yours alone

some pic's of ours

alone and joint

ours ( 1/8th of it )

[​IMG]

the memorial and museum

[​IMG]

and this is a joint US, ARVN, South Korean and all other allies Aussie and Kiwi memorial below

the chopper memorial is there too

Attached Files:

9. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

No matter what Army, Navy or Air Force you were in the vets have always got the shaft from politicians that never set foot in Vietnam or any other war zone. And still call themselves patriots. Nuts!