UPDATE Yugoslavian SKS

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

bondai
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (2/2/02 12:13:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All UPDATE Yugoslavian SKS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I reported sometime ago about the poor condition of 3 Yugo SKS's I bought from SOG. I have returned them and have yet to receive a refund, they were shipped on the 16th of January. Anyway I ordered 2 replacements from Centerfire Systems. They were $40.00 more but they came in with matching numbers and not packed with 8 pounds of grease. The metal is excellent, the bores look great and the stocks are very good with very few nicks or gouges, All in all far superior to the ones I originally bought from SOG. I have dealt with Centerfire before and have always been pleased. These SKS's will clean up nicely and will look great....

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (2/2/02 1:29:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: UPDATE Yugoslavian SKS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good deal!!! That sounds like it was worth every bit of the $40 extra. I've read a bunch of bad reports on the new yugo sks's that have hit the market lately. If I would have waited until they came out and read them, I would have never have ordered one. Luckly though, I was sent a decent one.

When you speak of all matching, do all the numbers match or are there some numbers stenciled onto some parts that match the barrel. In other words, two sets of numbers. That is how mine is. Even some of the parts that are stamped to match the receiver are also stenciled with a number that matches the barrel.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

bondai
    (2/2/02 1:36:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: UPDATE Yugoslavian SKS
    Bolt,mag,receiver and trigger group all match. I don't know if the barrel is stamped or not.All numbers are stamped not vibro etched. I'm not an expert on the SKS (or anything else for that matter)but they look pretty good for the money. Better than some of the Chinese crap that I see go for over $200.00

Bob In St Louis
    (2/2/02 3:36:12 pm)
    At last weekends gunshow, a dealer had 10 of them that he had ordered from SOG. He just got the cheapest deal, no handpick or anything. Out of the ten, there were two that were halfway decent looking on the exterior, but still mismatched, and the bores were like sewer pipes. More than half of the rifles had initials or graffitti carved in the stocks, and they looked like they had been used for driving tent pegs. Overall, I would say if anyone was to order one of these rifles, pay the bit extra for handpick, or order from Centerfire or someplace that has a better batch.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Bob In St Louis
    (2/2/02 4:58:02 pm)
    I almost forgot! A little history on these rifles ---

Last weekend I was talking at the gunshow with a recent immigrant from Bosnia. He said that most of the Yugoslav SKS rifles were only used for grenade launching because they were forward heavy and cumbersome. The M44 Mausers continued to be used as the main battle rifles until they were phased out in preference for AK47 varients in the later 1950s. The SKSs seldom had bullets traveling down the bores - just powder blow from the corrosive blanks. Ipso facto - bad bores. He said the limited number of the Yugo SKSs not made with grenade launchers were used by police forces, and likely did not have as bad of bores.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    (2/2/02 5:05:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: UPDATE Yugoslavian SKS
    bondai, have seen several of the Yugo SKS's at the last couple of gun shows Ugly looking to say the least.

I personally prefer my Chinese SKS.

Cabinetman
    (2/2/02 10:30:58 pm)
    I just ordered a Yugo from Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms. I've always had good success with his weapons and his descriptions have always been accurate.

That was a great piece of information about the use of these weapons, Bob. I'm going to pass that along if you don't mind.

I'll post here when I get it to give you a heads up. I own a Norinco SKS (all matching, really nice condition) but since my collection revolves around actual issued battle rifles, the Yugo fits better. Actually, I wouldn't mind haveing some initials in mine. It shows a little pride in the weapon by the original owner. Tent stake banging, on the other hand, would not be appreciated!

Rome