Upgrade or trade in?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by TTUshooter, Oct 23, 2007.

1. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

Hey guys, I'd like to pick y'alls brains. I currently Own a Springfield Armory GI .45. Pretty basic gun. I'm wanting to do some upgrades to it. such as a beavertail grip safety, extended frame safety, lighter trigger, better sights. Here is the question. Should I take the time upgrade all these components aftermarket or should i just trade in the GI .45 and put the funds i receieve for that and pick up a new one with all these upgrades stock? I figure some of you have experience in both scenarios. How much would I be looking at to get the upgrades done aftermarket (factoring in labor for a gunsmith, since i lack the tools, knowhow and the gumption to do it myself). Or how much could i expect to bring in for trading in a GI. 45 which is in good condition? By good I mean a little bit of finish wear, and still functioning pretty much perfectly?

discuss amongst yourselves.
  2. KJHB

KJHB New Member

T,

Not seeing the gun, here are a few things to think of

1) how well do you shoot it, are you good with it and like the feel?
    2)how many rounds have you put down the barrel?
    3) what are your plans to do with it? Fun, comp, home protection?

I just purchased a Kimber custom .45 with night sights and I am looking into some upgrades. It is new so evrything is tight. I can shoot it now when ever I want. Then when I have money I can make changes that I like. It might add a little more to the cost. But I dont have to order or get some things I don't want.

As long as the gun is sound and has no problems, find a good gunsmith and let them work on it when you can. Do a few changes at a time.

my 2 cents are in the mail
  3. cec

cec New Member

You are looking at a significant amount of cash here. It does help that you the a good starting point for the upgrades path.

The real factor to consider is how attached are you to the pistol?

Right now I have two 1911s that I am facing the same decision on, here is what I plan.

The Kimber Custom II full size. I really like the pistol and have no plans to trade it in. However I am going to be slowly upgrading it. But the upgrades are minor and will come to less than $200.

My carry piece, which I like very much, is an older Kimber Custom Compact. To do the upgrades I want to it would be over $500. I can trade it in and get a new Pistol for less and still get all the upgrades I would do to it anyway. In this case, the trade in makes sense.

In your case, I see a boat load of upgrades to the current pistol. If you really like the pistol (or have an attachment to it)and plan to keep it for years, do the upgrades. If it were me, I would save up and trade it in.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I say keep the Springer stock, Save up the money and then by either a high end Kimber or Springfield.