Upgrading my computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sig Willy, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I had my system for about 4-5 years and all that time I had 3 gigs of memory but the mobo only sees 2 gigs. I found out when I downloaded a pic laden thread on a forum and it crashed because I ran out of memory.

I downloaded a program called FREEram XP PRO and it showed 1400+ MBs avaliable after bootup. I thought WTH and went to my mobo's site and there it is, 2 gig max memory. How stupid I felt. My manual wasn't clear with that and I thought 2 gigs max per stick. Duh lol.

My system was an AMD 64 X2 3800+ on an MSI mobo. Its a great running system and I can't complain but I figured it's time to upgrade. I spent a lot of time on Newegg trying different configs and decided on this system. It's the best I can put together price wise and ratings wise. I can reuse my hard drive and DVD rom (SATA).

What do y'all think?

Intel Celeron G540 Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G540

ASRock H61M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Rosewill FBM-02 Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

Altogether with a rush order totaled less than $200. My OS only sees up to 4 gigs of memory. Also it will run on 1333 and even though the mems are rated at 1600 they should be pretty stable at this speed.
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

If you had Windows XP in the old computer that is why you only saw 2 gigs of memory. XP can only address 2 gigs. The motherboard could handle 3, 4 or possibly up to 8 gigs but the operating system couldn't. If you installed Linux, it would have used all 3 gigs.

Now, it is possible that the motherboard could only use the 2 gigs but, the manual may have been stating 2 gig max due to the limitations of XP only. If you had installed Vista you would have found out because Vista no longer had the 2 gig limitation of XP.

If you keep XP, it will never use more than 2 gigs of memory - it can't address it.

Lastly, do not keep you PC on 24/7. Turn it off at night when you go to sleep. You will burn out that Asrock motherboard in about 18 months if you leave the computer on 24/7 (or the power supply).
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Something people sometimes overlook when it comes to RAM is the speed of it. If the speed of the ram isnt equal or real close to the original it may actually slow your computer down. Also for instance if your computer has 2 slots and only one is used we will say 2 gig. If you wish to expand to4 gig of RAM and fill the second slot with a slower speed of RAM than what was originally in the computer it will slow the original RAM down to equal the speed of the old RAM. There is n way for it to increase the speed so it will slow down the faster one.
  4. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

My OS is Vista Home Basic but I did had XP Pro when I built this system. Anyway I don't leave the system on 24/7 but I do spend many hours on it a day. Reason why I got the case with two fans. My old case has two I put in. Also I have a 450 watt PW but it doesn't have connectors I'll need on the new mobo without adapters.

My mobo only see two gigs of memory no matter what. It is DDR2 and the new board is DDR3 (up to 16 gigs) so I can't reuse the mems.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I learned that the hard way. I had 4 1gig chips and put them in my xp box. No improvement over the 2 gig chip that was in there.

I think I am going to give up on building my own pc's. I can buy new cheaper than I can build them.
  6. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

And give up the fun? For shame. :cool: