US Army model 1894

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by holster-man, May 24, 2012.

1. holster-man

holster-man New Member

I have a Model 1894 US Army .38 D. A., with serial number in the 61,XXX range. Did all of these revolvers in this range have the butt lanyard? My revolver does not and never did have the lanyard. I was also wondering if there are any records to show what unit this gun might have been issued to? This revolver belonged to the Commissioner of Yellowstone Park, John W. Meldrum. He was also the Surveyor General of Wyoming Territory and acting governor of Wyoming when it became a state in 1890. I'd just like to check any military history that might be available on this revolver.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum can u put up some pictures
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Assuming always gets me in trouble, but I'm assuming that you have a Colt revolver. The New Army and Navy Model. Lanyard rings were not installed on the military guns until 1901 after the thickness of the butt heel was increased. The serial number furnished puts it in the 1896 manufacturing year. Your gun may or may not be a military gun, these were also made for the civilian market ( quite a few in fact). I also believe it is chambered in 38 Long Colt. Clear pictures of all the gun and all the markings would help in giving proper and valid information. There are others on the forum that are more knowledgeable on these Colts, however there were so many changes to the basic gun that pictures are a requirement. Colt may be able to letter your gun, it will only show where it was first delivered, it is very doubtful if it will show an individual name. There are no other records that I know of that will furnish the information you seek.
  4. holster-man

holster-man New Member

I greatly appreciate the info that has been posted so far. Yes, it is a Gov't inspected gun. The grip cartouche is very faint, but the frame does have the R.A.C. inspectors stamp. I have had several Clark inspected single actions over the years, but this is my first 1894 D.A. I purchased the gun primarily for the holster it came in. The holster was in fact for a 5 1/2" Colt Single Action and has a large cartouche which reads F.J. Nye, Maker, Helena, Montana. It is a beautiful holster and being a 50 year veteran Colt, Winchester and western memorabilia collector as well as a native Montanan, it immediately found a home in my collection. The pistol is in very good condition, with 50% original finish, bright bore and mechanically excellent. Yes, I could post photos, if someone leads me through the process on this forum.

Thanks again.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The butt marking of Model 1894 would make it a military contract gun even without mentioning the inspection marks. The change from the Model 1892 to the Model 1894 was the incorporation of a lever to prevent the revolver from being fired unless the cylinder was locked into place. Later, almost all Model 1892's were reworked to include the new device.

Jim