US Model 1903 Remington custom rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by yaterbob, Apr 6, 2008.

1. yaterbob

yaterbob New Member

I have a Model 1903 Remington rifle. 3,338,xxx serial number series. I would really appreciate some help on this one as I am unfamiliar with custom made rifles. The rifle has a Bishop mannlicher type Mahogany stock with cheek plate. 98%+ finish/re-blue; weaver KV scope, Buehler scope mount,2 drilled holes on receivor for scope on US markings, milled magazine floor plate. It has a modified safety and 22" barrel. Has some minor dings on stock. Modified bolt arm. Very Very clean and professional customization with beautiful tapered barrell. Any help with value would be appreciated. I'd really like to know who made this but there are no marked clues but perhaps the style will get some attention out there. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi yaterbob.....welcome to TFF. :)

Well, there's good news & bad news.

The good news: It's a beautiful rifle, obviously professionally very well done.

The bad news: Once you modify or change a military rifle, it's collector value is gone....and, unless it's modified and marked by a recognized custom gunsmith, it's value decreases considerably.

Back after WWI & WWII, old surplus '03s and 03A3s were a dime a dozen and thousands were converted to "sporters" & "hunters". Who knew that these old warhorses, in original GI condition, would become "collector's items" and far outvalue those converted to sporters.....even beautifully done ones like yours.

As to value.....the only real answer is "whatever somebody will pay". My guess would be in the $400-$600 range. :eek:
  3. yaterbob

yaterbob New Member

:eek: No Way $4-6K my god that's one heck of a Gun:D

Right! back to reality..... Thank you for the info. I figured the mil spec value was gone and couldn't see any markings naming it so... There it is.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Sorry for the bad news Bob. :confused:

I agree it's "one heckuva gun"......and you might find a discerning buyer who'll give you more....but that seems to be the going price range for "sporterized" military rifles, even ones as nicely done as yours. :eek: