US Property Lee Enfield...I think

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TheRooster, Sep 13, 2011.

1. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

I recently bought a Lee Enfield 303 brit. The thing is I dont know much about it and thats all i really want to know. Stuff, I really dont mind knowing what it is worth so i know i didnt get ripped off. It doesnt even say Enfield anywhere on it. All it says is US PROPERTY. and has a serial # of 84C6167. There is some other unreadable stuff and someone put CAL 303 British upside down on the receiver. It looks like a stamp of some sort. Either way It has a front sight that is adjustable and the rear is fixed peep with a 300 on the small peep and 600 on the big. The bolt is completely flat and looks to have been refaced or something because it is shaving a little metal off the magazine follower. Well here are the pics and if you need more just ask. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Looks like you have a Savage Arms manufactured No4 Mk1* SMLE. Their stamp was an"S" inside a square. It was made for the Lend-Lease program in WW2. We couldn't sell/ give weapons to Britian so Roosevelt came up with the Lend- Lease program to supply badly needed arms to the British.We were under the Neutrality Act at the time and weren't supposed to get involved in WW2. The bolt is correct. That is the way they were made. The black paint is not correct, I think they were originally parkerized, so it must have been done during some refurbishment during its life overseas(They were supposed to be returned to the USA after the war)Ha! There should be a manufacturing date under the ser.#. on the butt stock socket. There should also be a ser.# on the back side(flat area) of the bolt handle. if your real lucky, it will match the other one, but don't count on it. Also should be some American flaming bomb stamps there. If I recall correctly , all the Savage built rifles used walnut stocks. The 303 marks and the other unreadable ones were most likely put there by the importer, using the easiest area to get to, upside down or not. The 3 on the bolt face piece denotes headspace. They would read from 0-3, depending on the need at refurbishment.This is just basic stuff, so some real experts may chime in if I'm off any.:) Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The "U.S. PROPERTY mark was to satisfy the legal nitpick that one cannot lend what one does not own. So, the U.S. (which paid for the rifles) had them marked as its property even though none were ever issued to or used by U.S. forces.

Jim
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Correct and correct!

Savage-made Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I and No. 4 Mk I* rifles are all stamped "US PROPERTY". They were supplied to the UK under the Lend-Lease programme during the Second World War. No Savage Lee-Enfields were ever issued to the US military; the markings existed solely to maintain the pretence that American equipment was being lent to the UK rather than permanently sold to them
  5. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

And does anyone know what it could be worth?
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A Savage-made Rifle No.4 Mk 1 of Mk1* will run about $500 for a good one, up to over $1000 for one in like new condition. Many, like other surplus rifles that were once cheap, have been "sporterized", reducing the collector value to near zero. They can be found for $125-250 on the used gun racks, with value depending on the quality of the workmanship of the conversion.

Jim
  7. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

well i am a lucky duck! serial numbers match! If this weapon could talk, oh the stories it would have.
  8. popgun

popgun New Member

looks like it is import marked that limits it's value a bit. More areound $350 if it is.