US Revolver 32 top break

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by leeharrysouth, May 22, 2009.

1. leeharrysouth

leeharrysouth New Member

I have a top break five shot 32 with US Revolver smaped on top. IT has a serial no. of 10583. It looks to be in fair shape. Hinge is tiht and barrel only has mild pitting. I would like to rebuild it and blue it as a first serious revolver project. Can anyone tell me the correct dissassembly proceedure. such as mainspring first then trigger mechanisam or of a manual that will give me such info. Also, can anyone tell me what date this revolver was made. Can it shoot modern loads or is it only good for black power loads.

Thank you

leeharrysouth
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

after you take the grips off you will be able to tell if it has a letter code prefix to the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame this is the serial numbr i need to identify.

basically the internal mechanism of the U.S. Revolver is held by four screws and two pins. open the revolver and there will be a tiny screw at the bottom of the frame. this retains the front of the trigger guard. remover grips and puh the hammer spring out. using a punch of the right side drive out the rear trigger guard pin and then the trigger pin, remove hammer screw hammer comes out the top every thing else comes out the bottom.

the u.s. revolver co. top break was made during the smokeless era (after 1909).
    bill
  3. leeharrysouth

leeharrysouth New Member

Thanks Goforth. The serial no. on the left side of the grip frame has no letter code or prefix. Just the 10583. This no. is also stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard. Noting that this revolver was made in the smokeless era do you think it can stand the pressures of a modern 32 load, provided ofcourse, that the gun is solid. Also, is there a dealer that still privides parts for this revolver.

Thank you,

leeharrysouth
  4. leeharrysouth

leeharrysouth New Member

I also have an iver arms and cycle works break top 32. It has the company name and address on top rib of barrel. Five patent dates on lower barrel just in front of cylinder and just over hinge pin (screw). It has a serial no. of F33474 on left side of grip frame. This no. is stamped on the inside leg of the frame, not bottom. From what I can tell by infor on your web site this must be a 1903-1904 model. Soun about right.

leeharrysouth
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

first the iver johnson is a second model manufactured in 1903 (black powder era). the U.S. serial number 10583 was manufactured in 1910. as long as the U.S. is deemed fireable by a qualified person modern 32 S&W ammo should not harm it. however the second model iver johnson safety automatic revolver was manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures only.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER---------------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ½ ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS------------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for the wholesale trade. This revolver does not have Hammer the Hammer action, but it does have a rebounding hammer that the hammer version does not. Blue or nickel finishes were offered. Offered in two frame sizes and two calibers only. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel 12 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches: Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. . Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

bill
  6. leeharrysouth

leeharrysouth New Member

Thank you Goforth. You have been most helpfull. I appreicate all the information you have provided.

leeharrrysouth
  7. pointman41

pointman41 New Member

I just came in possession of a US Revolver 32 top break Serial #35516. Can anyone give me any information in regard to the pistol. Also I am having a hard time in locating any ammo for this revolver. Thank you for any information that you may render.
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

small frame 32 S&W caliber u.s. roevolver co. top break hammer
    no letter code on left side of grip frame 35516=1912
    letter code A found on left side of grip frame A35516=1921

small frame 32 S&W caliber u.s. revolver co. top break hammerless
    no letter code 35516= 1912
    letter code B35516= 1923

for more infor see above posts.
    bill