US Revolver 5 shot questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by augie, Oct 3, 2012.

1. augie

augie New Member

I need a little help dating this revolver I recently got in a trade. It's a 5 shot break top with auto eject. I believe it .38 s&w(at least that's what the previous owner told me). Black plastic grips with U.S. on them. The top of it is stamped with:
    U.S. REVOLVER CO.
    MADE IN U.S.A.

The serial number is on the trigger guard: 88026. The number is also scratched into the underside of the grips. Removing the grips, the only other stamp I can find is what looks like a number 2 on the right side.

Just wanting a little info about the date, etc. I was told it may have been made by IJ. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.

Are you sure there's no serial number on frame under left grip? There should be one, with or without a letter code prefix.

SN 88026 with no letter prefix was made in 1915.
  3. augie

augie New Member

you're right, there is a number there. same as the one on the guard and on the grips, 88026. thanks for the info!