US Revolver Co. .32 question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by babs, May 8, 2012.

1. babs

babs New Member

I have a US Revolver Co. handgun with serial number 2149 on it. Does anyone know what year it would have been from or any links where I can get the info on it. I believe it belonged to either my great grandfather or great-great grandfather when he was a constable in the county I live in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

First a question, Is that the serial number from under the left grip and if it is , was there a letter Prefix?
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

We also need to know caliber, and is it the break-open to load type, or a solid frame type that loads on right side.
  4. babs

babs New Member

The serial number is under the trigger guard (I think that's what it's called). I'm not very familiar with the names of parts on a gun. I just removed the handle cover and found that there is a letter before the same number as on the trigger guard. It is a "B".
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  5. babs

babs New Member

It's a 32 caliber, I believe. The bullets that are with the gun say 32 S&W REM-EMC. To load it, you take the cylinder out by hitting a release and pulling cylinder pin out. It holds 5 bullets. Does that help?
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Your description indicates a medium frame .32 Solid Frame model made 1910-1933, but the B prefix should be an E, and E2149 was made in 1921.

The ammo you list is correct. (Do not use .32 ACP, which will also fit)

Unless you find it more convenient, it's not necessary to remove the cylinder for loading; that's what the groove behind cylinder on right side is for.
  7. babs

babs New Member

Thanks for the info. But, why should the prefix be an "E" and not a "B"? It sure looks like a "B".
  8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

According to the late Bill Goforth's book, starting 1921 the D prefix was used on .22 solid frame U. S. Revolvers, E on the .32, and F on the .38.

Can you post a pic of the marking? If an E is deeply stamped, it might resemble an E.
  9. babs

babs New Member

I tried taking a pic of the marking earlier today, but it didn't show up too good. I think my camera batteries need to be charged, though. So, I'll try to get a good pic within the next couple of days posted. Thanks again. Oh, if it is a "B", is there any info in your book about it?
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

According to the book the B was never used on that model.