US Revolver Co. 32 revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ms-clearwater, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ms-clearwater

ms-clearwater New Member

I have US Revover Co 32 5 shot, top break revolver. Serial # 68246. I was found in my grandmothers house after she passed, believed to have been my grandfathers and was given to me by my father. I dont know anything about it and was pleased to find your site! It is in rough shape, less then 50%, one of the grips is broken, appears to have been sanded with fine steel wool. It is pitted and is not in working condition. I was wonder if anyone coul help figure a few things out about it.
    1. What year was it made?
    2. Could it have been issued in WW1 or just a civilian gun?
    3. Is it worth anything in present condition?
    4. Who may be interested in it if I wanted to sell it?
    5. Could it be restored and what would the cost be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you

MS Clearwater, Florida

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'm not well enough versed in these guns to tell weather or not it's a small frame or large frame, however let me ask a couple of questions, Is the serial number from under the left grip ( have to remove grip ) , and what are the marking son top of the barrel?. To answer a couple of your questions, no, it is not any type of military firearm, value would be more in line of a heirloom, in the condition it is in, maybe 50 to 60 dollars. Only you can determine whether or not to restore it, however the cost would far exceed the value of the firearm , even if restored to like new condition. Your revolver was made by Iver Johnson, Mr. Bill Goforth is the resident expert on Iver's' and he will be able to give you more information .:)
  3. ms-clearwater

ms-clearwater New Member

The serial number is from under the trigger guard, I could not get the grip off, and did not want to damage it any more than it already is. On top of the barrel it says US Revolver Co., I could not find any other markings anywhere else.

Thanks for your response!
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

with a broken grip i don't think it matters if it is broken again but for your information serial number 68246 was manufactured in 1914 and serial number A 68246 was manufactured in 1928. in the condition this revolver is in it would not be worth the 60% value listed below most likely $75 tops.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER------------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ½ ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

bill