US Revolver Co (Iver Johnson)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Padue, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padue

Padue New Member

I just found a gun I did not know my father had. It is a U. S. Revolver Co., 7 shot 22 long pocket gun. I am trying to find out as much about this gun as I can. Can anyone help with manufacture date or other information? I have pictures of the gun but all it says on it is U. S. Revolver Co. Made in U.S.A. on the top of the barrel(two lines), and the serial number 28486 in two places. One under the trigger guard and the other on the handle under the grip. The grip by the way is wood and appears to be hand carved.

Thanks, Paul

Attached Files:

2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Padue.......welcome to TFF. :)

Wow! It appears to be in really nice condition!

Keep checking back. Our resident expert on Iver Johnsons, Bill Goforth (he literally wrote the book on em: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_prod.html?p_prodid=GS37205&sid=9X4vr2zN ), should be along shortly to tell you all you'd like to know about your IJ.

*Shameless Plug*
    Books by Bill Goforth:
    Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works 1871-1993
    H&R Arms Company 1871-1986 (due fall of 2008)
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a small frame 'u.s. revolver co. automatic' (top break revolver) the 7 shot 22 rimfire was the least popular in this model and was only produced for 14 years 1910-1923. serial number 28486 (no letter code) was manufactured in 1912 with approx. 14,250 manufactured. the over size wood grips actually look like Hopkins & Allen grips that were cut down to fit this revolver, most likely sometimes late it its life after the hard rubber standard grips had broken.

the only calibers offered in the catalogs for the 22 rimfire were 22 short or 22 long (the cylinder was not long enough for the 22 long rifle). the standard finish on u.s. rovolver co. handguns was nickel that was replaced by blue sometimes in the 1920's. it is hard to say what the finish on this revolver is.

value wise the u.s. revolver co. handguns will bring about 25% less than the iver johnson main line handguns. the top break u.s. revolver co. automatic revolvers were an inexpensive version of the iver johnson 'safety automatic revolver' the main difference between the two other than fit and finish is the u.s. revolver co. automatics do not have the 'hammer the hammer' action (transfer bar ignition system) and relies on a safety notch on the hammer to keep the firing pin away from the cartridge. it is best not to carry a loaded cartridge under the hammer on this revolver, but keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.
    bill
  4. Padue

Padue New Member

Thank you Bill for the great information.
    Paul (Padue)
  5. zebu39

zebu39 New Member

Hi Folks I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about my U.S. Revolver which I have had for 40 years plus. I have been wanting to try and shoot the pistol for some time but wasn't sure if modern ammo would be okay for the gun. The serial number of the gun located on the bottom of the trigger guard is 2176. On the top of the barrel are the words U.S.Revolver Co Made in USA. I think the gun is a 32 caliber with a 5 shot, break in half, nickel plated body and is in nice shape. The pistol grips are a hard black plastic type material and on each side has the letters US in a circle on the upper edge of the grip. I hope this helps you in identifying this pistol. Thanks Zebu39
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

main serial number location is under the grips on the left side of the grips frame. this could be either a early production manufactured in 1910 (if no letter code prefix is present) or a much latter one.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER--------------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ½ ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS-------------1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for the wholesale trade. This revolver does not have Hammer the Hammer action, but it does have a rebounding hammer that the hammer version does not. Blue or nickel finishes were offered. Offered in two frame sizes and two calibers only. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel 12 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches: Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. . Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.

bill
  7. zebu39

zebu39 New Member

Thanks Bill for all your information. I checked under the handle as you said and discovered that it does have a letter A prefix. If this gun was manufactured later than 1910 and it is deemed to be in proper working condition by a gunsmith could I use modern ammo in this vintage pistol? Thanks Zebu39
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

serial number A 2176 was manufactured in 1917. it never hurts to have the gun checked, but it should be suitable for modern ammo.
    bill
  9. zebu39

zebu39 New Member

Hi Bill Thank you very much for your very detailed information on the U. S. Revolver Co. Zebu39
  10. shianne

shianne New Member

Hello, i am looking for Bill, could you please identify a revolver like the previous threads, Single line " US Revolver Co " serial number NO Letter 4265, very short round seems to be 32 caliber, break apart with a cartridge ejector. Thanks Shianne
  11. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

U.S. Revolver Co. Automatic (top break) serial number 4265 was manufatured in 1910. a U.S. Revolver Co. made this early should be checked by a qualified person before firing as some of the parts may have been made before iver johnson changed over to smakeless powder in 1909.

on second though it might be best to treat all frist year production of the U.S. Revolver Co. top breaks like black powder models and not fire them at all. iver johnson made about 15,000 the first year of production.
    bill
  12. Fango45

Fango45 New Member

Hey Bill,

I realize this may be a dead thread, but I just barely received this gun from my brother and I'm trying to pin down some details on it.

It's not the break-apart model. 5-shot (likely .32), with the Serial No. E40657 under the grip.

Ballpark on when it was manufactured?

Thanks in advance!

J.
  13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

medium frame U.S.Revolver Co. Double Action 32 S&W caliber serial number E 40657 was made in 1927, 6,300 made that year.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. DOUBLE ACTION----------------------1911-1935
    This revolver was manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for sale through mail order catalogs. Like the top break version it was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog. Features an unfluted cylinder and round barrel in all lengths, grip panels are hard rubber with U S at the top; oversize two piece hard rubber grips were also offered. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, the standard barrel length was 2 ½ inches on all frame sizes. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, medium frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds, cylinder capacity: Weight: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 10 ½ ounces, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 12 ounces, large frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 17 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 inches, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 1/8 inches, large frame with 2½ inch barrel 6¾ inches.
    DOES NOT HAVE “HAMMER THE HAMMER” ACTION;
    VALUE; 100%=$125 60%=$75

bill
  14. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache New Member

Looks like I inherited one of these:

SN# is 28875

I tried removing grip to see number, but screw kept turning and never loosened the grip. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong, so I'll leave it to the experts. I'll try and upload some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure how to measure to identify frame and caliber. Talk about a newbie. First time I've ever touched a gun. :eek:

Any info is greatly appreciated.
  15. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

appears to be a lafge frame 38S&W caliber u.s. revolver co. automatic hammerless model. with out knowing if it has a letter code on the grips frame the best i can do is give youe two possible dates of manufacture;
    serial number 28875= 1912, about 14,250 made
    or
    serial number D 28875= 1924, 5,250 made

LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for the wholesale trade. This revolver does not have Hammer the Hammer action, but it does have a rebounding hammer that the hammer version does not. Blue or nickel finishes were offered. Offered in two frame sizes and two calibers only. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel 12 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches: Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. . Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.

bill