US Revolver Company

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by grayumw, Apr 15, 2008.

1. grayumw

grayumw New Member

I found a compact 5 shot break action revolver with US Revolver Co. on the top of the barrel and the serial number 88000 on the bottom of the trigger guard and left side of the grip rail under the grip. I do not even know what caliber the gun is but I am guessing 22 or 25. ANy ideas??? Please see attached pictures. Lots of rust but appears to be a fully functional gun. I would love to shoot it if I could get some ideas on the caliber. Bill

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this appears to be a small frame 32 S&W caliber U.S. Revolver Co. Automatic (top break). these were manufactured between 1910 and 1935 by iver johnson's arms & cycle works as an inexpensive alternative to their main top break revolver the safety automatic revolver. the u.s. revolver co. products do not have the "hammer the hammer" action (transfer bar ignition system). serial number 88000 (with no letter code) was manufactured in 1916.

this revolver exhibts an excessive amount of rust to the nickel finish. i would supect the internal mechanism is also in very bad shape (rust wise). this revolver should be cleaned and oiled before attempting to fire. with this amount of rust on the frame, barrel and cylinder don't be surprised if the the leaf springs began to break.

caliber 32 S&W manufacture date 1916. please clean and check carefully before attempting to fire, as this revolver has not been well cared for.
    bill
  3. grayumw

grayumw New Member

Thanks for the info. I have spent a good deal of time cleaning up and in fact the internal mechanism is in very good shape. I have had it looked at by a local gunsmith and he agrees it is a 32 caliber. We are still working on it but will carefully fire it soon.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome back Gray and can't wait until you can get it out to the range for a test fire. Mr Goforth has since passed away between your last post. He was THE expert on these guns and is greatly missed. He would have been proud of the restoration and TLC that you've put into it.
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Hi guys, here's a couple that also had a very poor finish on them, not worth saving but the guns themselves only needed minor smithing so I chose to make them my test subjects for Duracoat gunpaint which I'd been wanting to try. They're basically brothers, the small one being identical to yours grayumw and the larger one is the .38 cal. I've had them a while now and still haven't taken'm to the range with me yet, but I fully intend to. Anyway I thought I'd show these examples of a paint-on finish incase your not happy with how the nickle turns out sinse blueing is not really an option. Good luck with it.

Attached Files:

6. bobhelmick

bobhelmick New Member

Thanks for all the info about US Revolver Co. I just discovered that name on a 32 Cal. that I got from my Dad and I knew nothing about It or the CO. My pistol is in very used condition, better than the rusty one but not a whole lot, and has a number stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard. # is 41767 and is very visible, is missing the front blade sight. Should I keep it or throw it away?:):)
  7. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Assuming your gun is a top-break type like first pic in this string, it was made in period 1910-1934. If you want a more exact date, copy the serial number stamped on frame under left grip, which may have a letter prefix, and also state if it's a hammer or hammerless model.
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  8. admiral45

admiral45 New Member

I have a US Revolver Co. top break, 7 shot, 32 caliber pistol. The identification numbers under the trigger are 18 3 99. It is in exceptionally good shape with the chrome, handle grips and mechaniism all intact. It looks almost new. Does anybody have any info on it or what it might be worth?
  9. hrf

hrf Active Member

Read my last reply before your post. If it's chrome plated, it has been refinished, original finish was either nickel plate or blued. If original in condition you list, value probably in $100-$150 range.
  10. admiral45

admiral45 New Member

Thanks for the info on my US Revolver Co. pistol.
  11. wilddawg

wilddawg New Member

I have a U.S. Revolver Co. .32 caliber 5 shot hammer top break and was hoping to find out the year of manufacture. The serial number is A65339. That is from under the left grip.
  12. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

U. S. small frame hammer model .32 serial no. A65339 was made in 1924
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I've never heard of a 7 shot .32 S&W top break. I know H&R and presumably IJ made some SA spur trigger revolvers in 7 shot .32 rf - and that both companies made 7 shot .22rf revolvers on small frames - but 7 x .32 hinged frame is a new one for me. Anybody else have info?

IMG_3749.jpg
  14. hrf

hrf Active Member

admiral45 never provided the details to properly identify his gun, but he probably miscounted or it was a .22
  15. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

hrf,
    Didn't notice the date of his entry - just cruising a bit today - but the question remains:
    .22 or .32 and I won't rest until I find the answer.....:confused::eek:;)
  16. wilddawg

wilddawg New Member

Thanks for the information.
  17. OBI

OBI New Member

:D I have a identical gun to which you show in this post. But I need a cylinder and cylinder pin to make it functional. Any ideas???
  18. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

These guns were made prior to 1880 and not many of them show up now adays. You can try Numrich/GPC - they don't list them, but they may have one stashed away somewhere.
    also try:
    www.jackfirstgun.com
    www.wisnersinc.com
    www.schludershots.com

If these dealers in obsolete gun parts don't have the parts you need, then perhaps you will need to monitor the online gun auction sites for a parts gun. Could take a while though.
  19. NicoleB

NicoleB New Member

My first post, so if I should start a new one let me know. Sound linke same topic maybe.
    I was given a revolver and have been trying to find out what exactly it is (caliber, year, etc.). I know it is a US Revolver, SN 22324, 7 shot, and I think top break means it opens to load the ammo, right? Its pretty rusty, and seems to be black to me. Wanted to find our whether it is worth cleaning or taking to a gun smith.
    Thanks for any info!
    Nicole

Attached Files:

20. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Where did you take S.N. from, trigger guard or under the grip? The number under the left side grip is the one we need. It may be the same but then it may also have a letter code included such as the letter C then the number.
    I think it's a .38 cal. but if you don't know measure accross the cylinder bore for us.

And welcome to The Firearms Forum Nicole!
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012