US Revolver Company

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by grayumw, Apr 15, 2008.

1. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum Nicole.

Fuzebox, if it's a 7-shot it's a .22, and Nicole, if the number on frame under left grip has no letter prefix it was made in 1911 but if it has prefix of letter A, made in 1919.

It can be cleaned some using 0000 steel wool and a little oil, but nothing any coarser should be used. And if mechanically correct, it should be OK to fire with standard velocity .22 ammo (no hi-speed stuff)

And in case you didn't know, these were made by Iver Johnson for sale by mailorder houses.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. NicoleB

NicoleB New Member

fuzebox and hrf,
    Only SN i found was under left grip. Bore measures about 5mm.
    Wow, hope I am only a little rusty when I am 91 :D
    Think I'll take it in and get it checked out before firing.
    Thanks for the info!
    Nicole
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Ah, I didn't even consider that. I only looked at the trigger guard in reference to frame but the cylinder is rather obvious isn't it.
  4. hrf

hrf Active Member

If no letter A serial no. prefix, it's 101
  5. bobhelmick

bobhelmick New Member

My US Revolver- 5 round 32 has the following # A41467. any thing else that you can share with me is appreciate.
  6. bobhelmick

bobhelmick New Member

While I'm at it ,is it possible to get a rough idea about the value of 1873 Remington 44-40
    octagonal barrel repeater- well used even has 3 notches on the wooden butt stock! I don't know if they are # of killed -buffalo-elk-deer-indians-lawmen ??
  7. hrf

hrf Active Member

A 5-round .32 with that serial no. has to be a small frame hammer model made in 1922.
  8. hrf

hrf Active Member

?? - No such thing as a Remington Model 1873 repeating rifle; did you maybe mean a Winchester 1873?

At any rate, post a new query with a better description and photos, instead of adding to this "U. S. Revolver" thread.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. cazador223

cazador223 New Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum cazador.

Read the "sticky" at top of page:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=90427

What caliber is it?

It apparently has a broken trigger spring.
  11. GUNSnAMM0

GUNSnAMM0 New Member

I have a.32 revolver same as the original poster. The but has the letters OJA. Under the left handle grip it has 5645 but under the trigger guard it has 5635. It's in pretty good condition. just wanted to know how old it is and why it has different numbers on it. Also is32 automatic 71 gr ok to shoot in it? Thanks in advance
  12. RJay

RJay Active Member

With a 4 digit serial number under the grips and no prefix, your US Revolver was made in 1910, the first year that the US revolver was made. Iver Johnson went to a smokeless frame in 1909, however it is not known if the first and second year US Revolvers used a new frame or old Frame. It may be best in this case to error on the safe side and consider the first and second year US Revolvers as a black powder frame. Do not fire .32 ACP in your revolver, it has much more pressure than either the black powder cartridge or the smokeless cartridge. Both the Black Powder and Smokeless have the same pressure level, the pressure level of the .32 ACP will damage your gun and in this case it could damage the shooter. It is not the proper cartridge. I recommend taking it to a reliable gunsmith and have it checked out. The reason the trigger guards serial number is different is because it has been replaced from another gun, this is why the serial number on the left grip is considered the only " True Number ". Again, DO NOT shoot .32 ACP in your revolver.
  13. GUNSnAMM0

GUNSnAMM0 New Member

Thanks Rjay. I appreciate the help. I found some 32 h&r 90grn rnfp lead smokeless ammo would that do the trick? I'm going to take it to the gun store and have then take a look at it. I like these older revolvers and would love to shoot it every now and then.
  14. hrf

hrf Active Member

That's .32 H&R MAGNUM ammo, which would probably make a grenade out of your old gun!!

What you need is the short .32 S&W round.
  15. Im1insane1

Im1insane1 New Member

I have a us revolver sn A13983(from under grip). Can you tell me how old it is, also should i clean it up with some steel wool, or will that devalue it, also what kind of value does it have(ballpark or range is fine).
  16. hrf

hrf Active Member

Photos are needed to confirm what you have and as there were different types and sizes made, but the A prefix was used only on the small frame break-open .32 S&W caliber hammer model, and sn A13983 was made in 1918.

If you think it needs cleaning with steel wool it's probably rusty, and value as low as $25. If you do clean it, don't use anything coarser than 0000 fine steel wool and oil.
  17. Im1insane1

Im1insane1 New Member

Yes, its got some surface rust, but nowhere near as bad as the first post on this thread, its is a .32, top break. It looks just like the first post. I couldn't get the pics to load. So it wont really devalue it to clean it up. Thanks for your help and info. What would be mid range value?:D
  18. hrf

hrf Active Member

My WAG if all complete and original maybe $50-$100

Remember, use 0000 (4 ought) steel wool and lightly with oil