US Revolver date of manufacture

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dhartz, Oct 17, 2009.

1. dhartz

dhartz New Member

What would be the date of manufacture of a 38 cal large frame US Revolver (similar to a Iver Johnson 1900) serial number 405XX on the triggerguard?

Thanks
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Use the search feature and learn why it looks like an Iver Johnson, Might even answer your question.:)
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

also remove the grips. the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame is the one we need. with or without letter code just knowing that number tells us a lot.
    bill
  4. dhartz

dhartz New Member

Bill, Thank you for the assistance. The number under the grips is the same number as the triggerguard (405xx) and has a "F" letter before the number. It belongs to a friend who was told it was carried by his grandfather in WWI. I know that the US Revolver Company was a name used by Iver Johnson and they were never made for the US Military, but I assume many soldiers carried privately purchased firearms during the war. I was helping him to try and date the firearm to provide some validity for the story. I am also looking into purchasing one very similiar to his. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, WWI was a different type of war in a different time. Very few, if any American soldiers carried a " personal firearm " . A personal hand gun in WWI would have been as useless as tits on a boar hog. { Yes, I know all about SGT York, That was a issue weapon}. A knife, now that was different, they where in high demand. So I would take the story about carrying a cheap mail order revolver in WWI with a grain of salt.:)
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this revolver was made a little late for ww1 but not for ww11. serial number F 405?? was made in 1932 (F39901-F41300). there were 1,400 made that year of this model.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. DOUBLE ACTION-----------------------------1911-1935
    This revolver was manufactured by Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works for sale through mail order catalogs. Like the top break version it was never listed in any Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works catalog. Features an unfluted cylinder and round barrel in all lengths, grip panels are hard rubber with U S at the top; oversize two piece hard rubber grips were also offered. Offered in three frame sizes and four calibers, the standard barrel length was 2 ½ inches on all frame sizes. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, medium frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds, cylinder capacity: Weight: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 10 ½ ounces, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 12 ounces, large frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 17 ounces; Height: small frame 3 3/8 inches, medium frame 3 ½ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 inches, medium frame 4 ¼ inches, large frame 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: small frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 inches, medium frame with 2 ½ inch barrel 6 1/8 inches, large frame with 2½ inch barrel 6¾ inches.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION;
    VALUE; 100%=$125 60%=$75

bill
  7. dhartz

dhartz New Member

Bill, thanks for the information and assistance in dating the revolver. Even if it didn't see WWI it is a neat old revolver. My friend is out of town and I may have the wrong war for his grandfather. It was in a nice Victory style holster. This one has a 6" barrel, are they less common than the 2 1/2 barrrels?
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes the longer barrels are much more rarer than the short barrels models but usually will not bring any more.
    bill