Use a progressive press to deprime only?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by techiej, Jul 3, 2012.

1. techiej

techiej New Member

Don't want to start any discussions over brand X vs Y or progressive vs turret vs single stage presses.

Instead what I am interested in knowing if there is any downside to using a progressive press to deprime only. I am wanting to batch process (9, 45 & 30-06) ammo that is once fired factory and from what I understand it would better to make sure that the primer pockets were thoroughly cleaned and reamed (if necessary) as well as the cases trimmed (for the 30-06) the first time that they are reloaded. After the first reloading I was going to just check case lengths on the 30-06 and run everything through in a normal progressive set-up.

FWIW, I am looking to get an LNL AP and unless there was a downside to just using one station to deprime only for a few batches would take this approach rather than a seperate singel stage press for this operation.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments? Reccomendations?
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

depending on what press you are using, I don't see any problem with it; just remove all of the dies except for the sizing die/decapping pin and don't put any powder or primers in it; feed cases in and just pull the handle until they're done. Seems like it would be faster than a single stage and accomplishes the same thing.
  3. techiej

techiej New Member

That's what I had thought but wanted to make sure that I wasn't making any bad assumptions/poor decisions with regard to using the press in this way.
  4. X Ring

X Ring Member

I use my XL 650 for that all the time, No dies in it except a universal decaping, it makes short work out of 1k 9mm cases.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use my LNL AP for depriming quite a bit.
  6. V509

V509 Member

I use a Hornady progressive press as well. It is easy to use as a single stage press, just remove the retaining spring and insert cases one at a time then remove before inserting another. You could also keep the spring on and have a die in only one station and let the cases ride around the shell plate
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You have a Hornady LNL AP? You see, there's a brilliant man.:D
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

On my Dillon RL550B I size and de-prime only all the time. I do it most often on rifle cases as a lot that I pre-determined would need trimming. I don't even remove the other dies but I do not install the primer bar or the case buttons. I insert the case to be sized in station one, pull the handle, advance the table once, remove the case from station two while I insert a different case in station one. It is faster to do than on a single stage press because you can use both hands to load and unload the press.

I see no reason to do anything with the once fired pistol cartridges other than reload them progressively. I have thousands of pistol cases that have been reload many, many times over perhaps 20 years and never had the primer pockets cleaned or the cases trimmed. Rifle cases, on the other hand, must be kept in the range of trim lengths listed in the manual and trimming MUST be done after sizing.

LDBennett
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Works really well on the LNL AP. Using the auto advance shellplate and allowing the EZject to dump into your acrobin saves large amounts of time compared to the single stage process. I love the LNL AP and recommend the press. It has been said that single stage operation is difficult on the auto advance style progressives, well on the contrary, using a single station and using the EZject operation on the LNL AP is most efficient.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First, welcome to the forum techiej. This is a great place with lots of good people who enjoy shooting and talking about a variety of subjects.

I use my progressive RCBS to deprime and size cases all the time also; following pretty much the same practice LDBennett uses. I clean the primer pockets on all my cases, but progressively reload my .357's.

The .223's get a little more attention in the case prep and powder load. I put the weighed powder in the primed, sized case, put it on the press and pull the handle once. Next case gets it's powder, goes in the next slot and so on; when the cases come around to the seating die I put the head on and seat the bullet and out pops a completed round, with each pull of the handle. The reloading goes fairly fast that way.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  11. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I do it with my pro 1000. I just bought a 2nd turret and the universal deprimer.

I inspect all primer pockets because I use an ultrasonic cleaner and I have found a couple enlarged primer holes but if I had not caught I do not think it would have mattered. They must not have been square in the case holder. The universal deprimer does not size so it does not move the case if they are not square. (it may not happen if you go slow enough, but when you are just depriming it is easy for me to just start cranking!) I do use the universal deprimer for all my cases though. Good luck!
  12. Waldog

Waldog Member

"Ditto" +1
  13. techiej

techiej New Member

Quick follow-up question w/regards to rifle (ie 30-06). After depriming/resizing & trimming, do you run progressively without the deprime/resize die in place?
  14. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yes, with the die bushing system that is used, all of your dies pop in and out with a 1/4 turn. The way I set this up is to leave station 1 and 2 empty, 3 is the powder drop, 4 is the seating die, station 5 is the crimping die. I also choose to handprime first but thats personal preference.
  15. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes. After I finish depriming/sizing, I prime the cases, remove the depriming/sizing die and install any other dies I need to finish the round. On my RCBS press.
  16. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

since I run a mix of milsurp and comercial, and different aged brass.. I pretty much always deprime and resize, and then run thru a trimmer to get a uniform length before going any further. makes a huge difference on crimp.. and different cases i've found grow differently. ie.. different age and origin ... some don't grow much at all.. so grow every time... thus I just trim em all uniform and go.

I also like to hand prime..