used die problems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 68c15, Jun 24, 2012.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I was at a local pawn shop and found a set of rcbs .30-06 dies part # 14831. I loaded the sizer die in my herters super 3 just like it says in my new Speer book. I slid in a once fired case and it started to jam on me. I stopped before it got too bad and pulled the ram back down. then I checked and it fits real nice into the seating die. so I gave it a bit more lube and tried again but it still jams. same thing with other heat stamped empties. I even took out the decapping pin assembly and got same results. it's like the mouth is .010 too big but after measuring the other empties they match the book specs.

what gives? am I doing something wrong? (new guy, first time reloading)
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The 14831 is a 30-06 Small Base sizing die. What does it say on the die itself, not the box?

Lube? What type of lube are you using?
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That was my first thought. What kind of lube?

Look inside the die with a flashlight and make sure it isn't rusty or dirty.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

:yeahthat: A small base die will take a bit more force to resize the case.
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

RCBS 30-06 SB FL 84

small base? why would that be needed?
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

For semi-automatics, with only the spring pressure feeding the cartridge, it is sometimes helpful to have the very base of the cartridge squeezed a little bit smaller. With a bolt or a lever you have mechanical advantage, and "small base" isn't normally necessary. So they made "small base" dies, for autos. Like an M1, for instance.

Something else that might be a problem is your press.

I've got a rockchucker. It will handle anything with ease, up to and including 50 BMG.

I've also got one of these. It's a fine press, for what I use it for, but I don't think it has enough butt to size rifle rounds.

[​IMG]
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Alpo, I'm using that exact lee press for my 06 rounds
  8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

thanks guys. I'll have to see if I can find some regular dies then. should I keep these or take them back?
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

What rifle are you loading for?

I still would like to know what lube you are using. Cuz even a SB die should not get stuck with the proper lube.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's probably a bunch of your problem. Press just does not have enough umph to do the job.

Those dies are fine. I have small-base ought six dies. Bought them when I was loading for a friend with a 742. Don't load for him any more, but use them for my ought three Springfield. Ammo works fine.
  11. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek:
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i use a rock chucker on one side of my bench to seat, and I hav ethat very same classic C lee for sizing. i size 3006 and down with no problem if the cases are lubed.

to the op.. take the die apart and clean with brake cleaner. you don't know what lube the other guy used.. and water based lubes aren't compatible with solvated wax lubes. IE.. rcbs lube pad lube and hornady hot shot are different.. you must clean out all water base lubes before using a solvated wax lube..

I use the regular rcbs Fl die set on my classic Lee c press on 30-06 with no issues. i think you are seeing a lube and SB die set issue.