The Firearms Forum banner

Used Kimber, or New Springfield

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Goneracin 
#1 ·
Ive heard good things about both, but i found a reputable shop in my town that can get me a full sized springfield mil-spec parkerized with the extra grips and belt holster for 600 plus tax. now im REALLY iching to get one. heck i always wanted a springfield, and a new one for my first handgun, hmmm, what do you think?

#2 ·
i have heard good and bad about both. in the long run it is your choice and your gamble. i am always going to op for the new one with the warranty. i typ only buy new guns and have had problems with a few. good thing i was able to send them back to the factory. at some point your just gonna have to jump in and hope for the best. auto loaders can be funny. good luck.

make sure to post some pics:p

#3 ·
I own both Kimber and Springfield Armory 1911's. My favorite ( if I had one) would be the Kimber. Built to closer tolerances means more a more accurate 1911 and the Kimber is just that....accurate. And it will hold a better resale value than the MilSpec SA also.

The Springfield Armory MilSpec model is a great base for custom work and can be built into a very accurate, reliable 1911. But custom work costs money. The Kimber already has the parts installed that you will probably end up adding anyway. So, the choice is up to you.

Good luck on your purchase. :)

#4 · (Edited)
In my opinion you cannot beat a Kimber for price and features. I just traded off my $4200.00 Wilson Super Grade for a pre 64 Winchester model 70 300 H&H Bull gun and I still have three Kimbers all of which shoot every bit as good as the Wilson did. I still have a Wilson model KZ 45 (polymer frame) that I really like as well and it too for the money is a great deal. One of the local shops here in town stopped selling Springfields for a while because of too many send backs. They started carrying them again because of why I don't understand "popular demand".

#5 ·
boy, seems like the springfield isnt as popular as ive heard. i was just thinking that for the same price to get a new gun it might be better than a used one that we dont know about. hmmmm, tough decision. i will only have enough money to buy one for now, so i want to make my first choice a good one.

#6 ·
I'm a Springfield fan, so they get my vote.

Never been very impressed by Kimber.

#7 ·
I have nothing but good things to say about my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec parkerized 1911 pistol. It is a good gun. I use Wilson Combat magazines in the pistol and do not hesitate to carry for defensive purposes.

#8 ·
For what it's worth, I'd take that Springfield every time.

#11 ·
i've never had any experiance with a kimber other than holding one in the store, and a few used ones were included. i have owned a mil spec springfield armory and wish i ad'nt got rid of it. stupid stupid me... anyways, it was a regular GI except that it had a throughted barrel. i had a few casings hit me in the head and i complained to SA and they said if i shipped the gun back to them they would work it over, so i did. when i got it back they had lowered and flaired the ejection port and put in an extended ejector, and re-parkerized the slide. it malfunctioned on me maybe 2 or 3 times with ball ammo, out of several thousand rounds. stovepipes on live rounds. i cant say why because i wasn't limp wristing it.... if i had the choice i would probably get the kimber though because i've heard good things from them and in comparison their guns are more refined than the one i had.

~john

#12 ·
For what it's worth, I'd take that Springfield every time.
The US military agrees with you, if $$ are like words.

When the US Army or USMC want a few hundred new 1911...Springfield is contracted. Just like Beretta and SIG is for 9mm M9/M11 etc etc.

When a handful of specialty .45 ACP handguns is wanted, and Springfield is tied up or there are faster off the shelf purchase channels...contracts or purchases of stuff like Kimber, H&K, etc happen. I know because that's why I had a bulky USP on my hip for a year.

Springfield makes the weapons that really do, and are doing, what they were meant to do in combat. From Ft Bragg secret squirrels to jarheads on an LHA.

Kimber makes weapons meant to look like they should be in combat. They advertise them like they are Springfields. There's only one place generally in the US inventory you can find some Kimber handguns; careful not to confuse private contractors. Armorers buy the grips sometimes, which causes refurbs to be mistaken as Kimber. Kalifornia state/county government LE likes Kimber though.:D

Nothing against Kimber except that it ain't a Springfield. I'm not saying they aren't good CCW. I'm saying they are hyped up.

p.s. I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy. :p:p:p

#13 ·
well as a ford fan im with you on that, i wil push my ford till i die if need be. but in regards to guns i see what you mean. i really want a new gun, maybe i should just go for the springfield so i can have a brand new gun. i dont know, im so confused, why cant guns be like $10...

#14 ·
well as a ford fan im with you on that, i wil push my ford till i die if need be. but in regards to guns i see what you mean. i really want a new gun, maybe i should just go for the springfield so i can have a brand new gun. i dont know, im so confused, why cant guns be like $10...
Well...most 1911 guys actually end up owning several. :D

Dude, go with your gut. You are second guessing your own head, not which weapon. Buy the one you see when you close your eyes. Have fun. Try to shoot which ever you buy until the slide falls off. Later on, if you still want the other, it'll be around; Neither is going anywhere.

#15 · (Edited)
I have two Fords and they both have Chevy engines so I don't have to push them. If you are happy with a Ford you will be thrilled with a Springfield.:)

#17 ·
I have two Fords and they both have Chevy engines so I don't have to push them. If you are happy with a Ford you will be thrilled with a Springfield.:)
ouch, thats messed up :)

I am sure as soon as i figure out which one i want, there will be a 3rd choice or something. i need to figure out how much it will be for all the other go withs too. safe, lock, holster, ammo,....... you know, any suggestions?

#18 ·
I looked at a couple of Springfields today along with a few Kimbers, I saw some brand that I have never heard of - something like RAI or RIA, the only thing on the right side of the slide was MILITARY MODEL (I think). It was a Plain Jane 1911 selling for about $450.

#20 · (Edited)
I looked at a couple of Springfields today along with a few Kimbers, I saw some brand that I have never heard of - something like RAI or RIA, the only thing on the right side of the slide was MILITARY MODEL (I think). It was a Plain Jane 1911 selling for about $450.
Now you are going from your beloved Ford to Edsel.:D I have friend who bought one of those and the nicest thing I can say it was a perfect example of the old adage "you get what you pay for".

All kidding aside and while I like Kimbers, if I had a Springfield and a Kimber in my hand I would work the slide for smoothness and test the trigger pull, which ever one past that test would be my gun. I must admit the only 1911 type 45 Auto I have ever bought new that I did not have to do a trigger job is my Wilson KZ 45. It came with a three pound crisp trigger right out of the box and it has never missed a beat with anything I have feed it including my handloads with various bullets. On the other hand I bought new a Wilson Tactical Supergrade ($4200) and it had more creep in the trigger than a ghost. I have three Colts, three Kimbers, and an STI Matchmaster, all of which were bought new and I have had to tune the triggers on everyone of them. My point being it is rare at least from my experience to get a new gun that you will not have to tune the trigger and in my opinion the trigger pull is the most important and yet weakest link (cheapest to fix) in the accuracy chain.

Ron

#21 ·
well those are some good points, im sure it will be a while before i start tweeking around with the gun, i just need a good platform i supose first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.